Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-14-2008, 05:46 PM   #1
greenpea
Registered Users
seller
seller

Advent steam sterilizer...BPA???

Hi...does anyone know if the microwave steam sterilizer from Advent is considered toxic or not? I have tried to contact Advent direct...but they are no longer taking questions. I would like to use to sterilize my glass bottles.

thanks!!

Advertisement

http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Masset
greenpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:49 PM   #2
mommyof1.5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Advent steam sterilizer...BPA???

it's the clear break-resistant plastic that has it in there, so if it doesn't have that clear plastic, I'd guess no. If it does, I'd guess yes. GL!
Old 05-14-2008, 07:39 PM   #3
LunaBirch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Just curious.. why do you need to steralize the bottles? Has the Dr required it? Is your LO immune-compromised?

I never steralized anything, and my babies were both preemies (34 & 35 weeks).. the Dr said soap & hot water was sufficient.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:37 PM   #4
selinajean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Even if it did have bpa in it, which I don't believe it does....it doesn't touch the food or formula so there is no chance of the chemical leeching into the food. It is safe.

NickNaks - Become a Fan on Facebook for news and updates.
Grand Opening coming soon! Use earlybird20 for 20% off until the grand opening bash!
Also on dotCA!
selinajean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:58 AM   #5
greenpea
Registered Users
seller
seller

I sterilize as that is what is recommended for all infants under 6 months to prevent stomach issues. I am concerned about the sterilizer as the BPA leaches under hot conditions....ie when you sterilize....even though there is no milk in it at the time....the process creates a great deal of condensation which could contain BPA....which would then leach into the milk when I filled up the bottles.

ANYWAYS...just spoke to Philips ( Avent manufacturer) they said that yes BPA is used in the manufacturing of the steamer....however another ingrediant is added which prevents the BPA from leaking....therefore safe to use as no BPA leakage. I know other mommas were wondering the same so thought I would share the info.
cheers!
http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Masset
greenpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 12:10 PM   #6
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenpea View Post
I sterilize as that is what is recommended for all infants under 6 months to prevent stomach issues. I am concerned about the sterilizer as the BPA leaches under hot conditions....ie when you sterilize....even though there is no milk in it at the time....the process creates a great deal of condensation which could contain BPA....which would then leach into the milk when I filled up the bottles.

ANYWAYS...just spoke to Philips ( Avent manufacturer) they said that yes BPA is used in the manufacturing of the steamer....however another ingrediant is added which prevents the BPA from leaking....therefore safe to use as no BPA leakage. I know other mommas were wondering the same so thought I would share the info.
cheers!
Thanks for the info
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 12:15 PM   #7
Luke'sMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenpea View Post

cheers!

Thanks for the info! I have a microwave sterilizer, but haven't used it yet...good to know it's ok!
Luke'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 03:43 PM   #8
katesmash
Registered Users
seller

The bottom of the sterilizer had a recycling # 5 on it I think... it's safe.