Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-05-2008, 12:38 AM   #31
princessblueberry
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: milk or formula.....wwyd?

I feal your pain! no fun...

Although my problem is that I don't make enough milk to satisfy DS at all...5oz after a 8-11 hour sleep and 2-3 oz the rest of the day, he'd drain the girls and want more 2-6 oz of formula. That was even with the herbs, pumping, and the not so PC having a drink to relax after DS's last feeding for the day. Then I get some cleaning done and go down to my dungen to make diapers and read DS.

I'd sugest pumping before you go to bed so you don't have sore girls in the morning...then just add formula to get the 8oz fot the next evening.

Oh one thing I learned my DS will scream his head off till he sucks air out of the bottle weather he has had 1 oz or 8 oz...then and only then does he think he is done. I've been told that letting him do this is bad but it is the only way he will stop screaming.

Advertisement

Old 06-05-2008, 09:14 AM   #32
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I thought Pp was interesting, wanting to suck the bottle empty no matter what was in it, interesting.

I just keep going back to the ...you setting an alarm to pump but not wanting to nurtse baby in the evenings because he won't sleep and you will have to get up in the night. I am confussed.

I get the evenings to regroup and wanteing baby to sleep.

Catherine in 9 months and just started sleeping at night.

I nurse her at 7 and again at 8ish and she goes down for the night, then I wake her well "Dream Nurse" (get her up inht edark and cuddle and nurse her) about 10:30 before I go to bed. Then she sleeps until 6:30 am. I can then sleep straight from 11 to 6:30.

Maybe you could try something like that, and if you still wanted to have DH do a bottle I would say formula and stop stressing about all the pumping.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:41 AM   #33
xois
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i skipped formula and used Kefir in emeron's bottles at Daycare (now sippys) when I couldn't pump anymore (nothing was coming out anymore)

Kefir is like drinkable yogurt and it worked well for her becuase she still coudln't do milk yet (sensitive to the protien)

but she did yogurt great...and Kefir is whole fat and unsweetened.

she loves it!!
Old 06-06-2008, 08:16 PM   #34
whippoorwill
Registered Users
seller

Hey mama,
I would definitely not feel bad about a bottle of formula a day. I desparately wanted my son to be EBF and managed it for a couple of months. I was exhausted from his marathon nursing sessions and when we discovered he wasn't gaining enough weight (a little over 1 lb gain at 2 mo) we started supplementing with formula. I am now more rested and a better mom for it. He still gets about 1 8 oz bottle at night before bed, but I can keep enough milk pumped most days for him. For me, being more rested has helped tremendously. I know my husband loves giving him a bottle, so a nightly bottle has had a couple of benefits for us. I know a bottle of formula a day isn't for everyone, but it has worked for us.

oh and, my son doesn't finish a bottle when he gets full, he will turn his head away, but he routinely takes 8 oz. He is an odd one though and it seems he has needed more than average since we started measuring (pumping/formula)

Good luck!
Old 06-06-2008, 10:16 PM   #35
daisy0306
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The baby that would eat everything was interesting. Maybe if you have 6 oz pumped you could just have DH give him that and see how it goes? You could have a couple oz of formula made up in another bottle just in case. Pumping is hard and stressful, there's nothing wrong with a few oz of formula if it means you get a bit more sleep or time to yourself
daisy0306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 12:03 PM   #36
megviolet
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickieboggs View Post
can't satisfy his bedtime hunger.....i'm talking 2 hours of continuous eating and then up periodically through the night.....or give an bottle that he finishes in about 20 min and he's out for 12 hours.

with only 5 hours sleep all I wanna do lately is bring him to bed and try to get a few more winks in!!

my DD is still like this. She would nurse non-stop in a half asleep daze if i let her. I've never pumped so no clue how much she is getting but i know it's a lot.

12 hours! Lizzy has never slept that long!

co-sleeping (for us) has meant a lot more sleep for me. Granted, i;ve never tried NOT co-sleeping... but i know i wouldn't get as much sleep since i can sleep while she nurses in bed.

Is he eating very much for solids?

I would totally go with formula if you're going to top him up with something other than breastmilk, its a MUCH better choice than cow/goat milk.
Think of it this way too... lots of babies start eating more solids around your DS' age and many decrease the amount of breastmilk. Formula has more complete nutrition than cereal or babyfood (or most table food a babe would eat) so nothing to feel bad about- it's just like introducing another food on top of the breastmilk.

BUT if you do want to up your supply then keep him on the boob, his nursing will be more effective at making milk than the pump will be
Mama to ~Elizabeth Melody~ since May 2007 and expecting Baby #2 June/July 2010!
Bwing-BFing-CDing-CoSleeping-NonVaxing SAHM
Canadian
megviolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 12:12 PM   #37
duck411
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

8 oz!? I was told my DD would likely never take more than 5-6 ounces ever! She's 4 months and still just taking about 3.5 ounces.....
Celia -Wife to Garrett. WAHM to Reese (5) & Brooke (3). EDD for #3 11-17-2013.
duck411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 06:45 PM   #38
whippoorwill
Registered Users
seller

oh yeah, 8 oz is nothing for my son. I am a little concerned about how much eats...At a previous ped appt his dr wasn't concerned since he hadn't been gaining for a while. She was a little concerned why it takes him so much more than the average to gain "normal." I am gonna talk to her again Fri about it.

Even his sitter (who has done daycare for ~20 years) says he eats ALOT
sorry to get ot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck411 View Post
8 oz!? I was told my DD would likely never take more than 5-6 ounces ever! She's 4 months and still just taking about 3.5 ounces.....