Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-16-2008, 08:15 PM   #1
negrapy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
how do you not get too overwhelmed?

i have been researching international adoption again since my babies have been sleeping tonight - its starts to seem very complicaded and well overwhelming -

i think its harder b/c both of our pregnancies were one try-ers if you ykwim ..... however i have some hip difficulties after the last delivery and have been wanting to adopt since before we were married - the baby is over one so we feel ready for the next to be on the way

Advertisement

Old 05-16-2008, 09:23 PM   #2
tink
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: how do you not get too overwhelmed?

It can be managed, one step at a time. You can get through it! We adopted domestically, so it wasn't quite as bad as international, but stressful all the same!
tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:12 PM   #3
Kinrice01
Registered Users
seller

take baby steps, remember to breathe.. it can be done and it will be worth it!
Kindra: wife to Chris since 6/01 , Stay at Home, AP, homeschooling Mama to: Seth 11/01, Elissa 10/03 , Noah 9/05 , Emma 5/09 , Luke 4/13 ,stepmom to a U.S.Marine Stephen 10/92 , foster mama to siblings I 12/08, J 12/09, and J 4/14
Kinrice01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:58 PM   #4
JanelleD
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The first thing we did in researching countries was to narrow the choices down to those countries that were a good fit for us.

We looked at the requirements to adopt for the various countries. Some countries have requirements on parent's ages and the number of children already in the home.

Then we looked at travel requirements. We knew that we couldn't travel to a country that required us to be gone for more than a week at a time. Child care plus time off of work for my dh made this an issue for us.

Those two things narrowed it down considerably for us. You can also think about the age and gender of the child you might want to adopt and that might help you narrow it down even more. These two things might also not be factors for you at all.

In the end we chose Guatemala because we were desiring a son, wanted to bring home a young child, and we weren't required to travel for an extended time. Also, at the time, Guatemala was moving quickly.

Well, over 2 years have passed and we are just now bringing our son home in 2 weeks. And, we will have travelled a total of 4 times! But, that is the way of adoption, it can be very unpredictable!

Blessings to you in your journey!
Old 06-08-2008, 11:39 AM   #5
negrapy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks for the input -
travel stay and cost is definately a factor - gender we arent concerned about - however we would like the child to be around the same age of our little ones so that is a factor .... one of the biggest factors is adopting from a country where our adopted child wont automatically look adopted at first glance from our other two (however since my dh is from south america and i'm not its a pretty wide range of looks)

we are leaning towards Columbia but the wait time there is now almost 3 yrs which seems like a really long time but overall its not really that long in the scheme of life ....

thanks for the support everyone!