Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-03-2008, 09:24 PM   #11
autumnlily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: BF'ing twins?

Sorry for the multiple replies...

As said by a previous poster - one of my twins was more patient, which was nice. Because it can be flustering when you are trying to get them both latched and they are screaming. That intense faze does go away quickly as they do learn a tiny bit of patience when it comes to the latching time. A minute or two of crying will become common place for them (and mom!) because it's impossible to be 100% in two different places at two different times (even if you have two breasts and two hands)

Advertisement

Old 06-05-2008, 11:24 PM   #12
imacuckoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I also nursed them both at the same time, from quite early on. I used a recliner, and put both of them in a football hold. They still always nurse at them same time, I can't have one on the boob without the other one wanting to get in on it!

Good luck to your friend!
Old 06-07-2008, 09:10 PM   #13
Rollins4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaliff View Post
In the beginning, I fed mine one right after the other but was able to tandem nurse at around 6mo. I would also recommend a twin nursing pillow if she tandem nurses from the beginning, although I didn't need mine when they were a little older. Also, at night, I would bf which ever baby woke up first and then nurse the other who would only wake enough to eat and be right back to sleep. That saved a ton of night wakings. Keeping them on the same schedule was the best way to go IMO. Oh, I would switch the babies to a different breast with each feeding, too. Congrats to her!
Ditto!! Also, mine are almost 2 and they still nurse,, I have done away with the boppy and we do the football hold position with their little heads laying on my thighs and feet behind me. We started that probably around 6 mos too,, when they could "help out!" Best of luck!!
Rollins4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 08:31 AM   #14
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:

I agree with something someone said up above, LOL. At first I didn't tandem, it was too overwhelming for awhile. I actually NEVER used my twin nursing pillow, LOL, but I bought it! I ended up using my arms and regular pillows when I needed them. We co-sleep and that helped a GREAT deal when they were little. I think if she's open to co-sleeping the other good thing to do is to find a way that you are comfortable tandem nursing laying down - saves a lot of time, LOL.
Mine were bfed from day one, supplemented a few times, but I did have to pump to keep my supply up. My other suggestion is to find a wonderful LC if she can. They can be a huge help, and also great leverage if their pedi is on her back at any point about weight gain, etc.
If she has access to the internet, there is also a great board that was a huge help to me when I was pg and first nursing. You can PM me if you or she have any more questions.
Oh, mine are 21 months now and still going strong, LOL. They are ONLY tandem nursed now, since they get jealous if sissy is getting some and the other one isn't, LOL.
Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 08:35 AM   #15
Knits on Earth
Registered Users
Formerly: eden/averymumm
seller

My Mood:

I nursed one at a time almost all the time. it was just more comfortable. though I could nurse both and occasionally would. mine were fast nursers so it wasn't bad, but if they aren't speedy it'll be in her interest to learn to tandem nurse after she has established breastfeeding with both babies and got her latch sorted out and everything.

I really good TWINS nursing pillow is a great investment, support is everything in tandem nursing teeny babies.

mostly she has to just breathe and relax and accept for months her life will revolve around nursing. I (and alot of other breastfeeding moms of twins) did reach a point in the first few months that it felt like torture. But taking it one feeding at a time and not stressing got me to 4 months. and I made it to 23 months as it just got easier and easier form there.

Knits on Earth, custom knits
Knits on Earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 07:10 PM   #16
sdsp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have been bfing my twin boys for 7 1/2 months now. They were born at 33 weeks and spent 9 days in the NICU. I had to bring my milk in by pumping, as the boys did not know how to suck. The nurses and drs. in the NICU gave the babies every bit of breast milk that I gave them, but did supplement with formula until my supply was meeting the demand that they had set up for my babies to be able to come home. As soon as the boys came home I met with my LC (she actually came to the hospital and helped me with my pump and to try to get the babies to latch.) At home, I was in much more control and with my LC's help both of my babies have been bfing since that day. The boys took a long time (as most new borns do) to bf at first 45 minutes minimum each, so I quickly started to tandem nurse. I would have been lost without my EZ2 twin nursing pillow. I still tandem nurse in the morning and at night. The boys eat much more quickly now and I have been feeding on demand since they were 4 months old. Before that if 1 was hungry both babies would eat. I am happy to help if you need, or to answer any other questions you may have. pm me any time.

Sherry
sdsp is offline   Reply With Quote