Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 06-08-2008, 08:11 PM   #1
Registered Users
Great healthy salad for summer

This is a yummy salad that keeps well. It is better the 2nd day (and 3rd, 4th, whatever) and is really refreshing right out of the fridge in this hot weather! My goal for surviving pregnancy in summer is to keep good salads like this one on hand in the fridge for quick, cold meals! The next one on my list to try is from Cooking Light 2001, and has roasted corn, black beans, mangoes, cilantro, lime and spices in it. Sounds yummy. If it works out well, I'll post it too.

Indian Spiced Carrot Salad
(heavily adapted from Bon Appetit)

4 large garlic cloves (or 1-2 tsp. from a jar)
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 Tbs olive oil
2 Tbs fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 Tbs ground ginger
1 1/2 Tbs ground cumin
pinch of salt
pinch of cloves
1 tsp honey, or to taste
5 large carrots (most of 1 lb), peeled and cut into 1/4 inch rounds

1. Combine all the ingredients except for the carrots in a food processor or mini chop and puree well (a stick blender can also work for this). Adjust seasonings to taste.
2. Cook the carrots in boiling salted water until they are tender but still crisp, about 5 minutes. Drain, and combine with dressing ingredients in a large bowl. Cool to room temperature and then refrigerate until serving.

Heather, new mom (10/14/08) to a son (our first)! Happily married to my best friend, who waited to become a daddy while I finished grad school.

Last edited by mcbruhn; 06-08-2008 at 08:13 PM.
mcbruhn is offline   Reply With Quote