View Poll Results: Dry beans vs. Canned
I love dry beans, it's much cheaper, and it's not any more effort for me over using canned. 18 36.00%
I only use canned, I don't have the time to plan for dry beans. 12 24.00%
I want to use dry beans, but can't fit it into my schedule. 12 24.00%
I use dry beans, and think the energy use costs roughly the same as buying canned. 8 16.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 06-07-2008, 05:51 PM   #21
Registered Users
Re: Dry Beans ~vs.~ Canned Beans

I'm lazy so I almost always use canned beans (I buy dried lentils...but that doesn't really count). The convenience is definitely worth the extra cost for me. I do wait for them to go on sale, though, and then I seriously stock up. The grocery store where I shop regularly runs 2 for $1 deals on canned beans and tomatoes, so I always buy a bunch then and stash them in my pantry.

Also, I use a lot of chickpeas and those are not something that my store carries in dried form. Sure, I could make a special trip to the "fancy" grocery, 20 miles from my house. But, with gas at almost $4 a gallon, that would kind of defeat the purpose of buying dried beans to save money, right?

Monzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:19 PM   #22
User Name
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Dry Beans ~vs.~ Canned Beans

We pretty much just use dry beans, but we will use Bush beans every now and then in a quick lunch. Soaking your dry beans is not necessary to cook them. The point to soaking the beans is to start germination which activates their enzymes. There is no harm in not doing this, obviously, but you miss out on the enzymes if you don't. It's conceptually similar to eggs... when you cook the egg, it denatures the proteins which turns them solid. Good for egg white, not so good for the yolk. It's still fine to eat, you just lose a lot of the nutritional value which is mostly stored in the yolk.

So, you don't have to soak them, but all not soaking the beans will do is keep a lot of the nutrients in an inaccessible state to the body.
"Vita hominis Deum cognoscere Illumque amare."
User Name is offline   Reply With Quote