Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-17-2006, 07:57 PM   #1
ebutterfly782
Registered Users
Formerly: s**wski
seller

My Mood:
Supply issues

First off... I started with an oversupply, go figure. My freezer stash is dwindling quickly. I am a teacher, so that means full-time work. I drink my water, and I am taking fenugreek 3 pills 3x per day. I still can only pump around 9-11 ounces a day. I need 12 to get DD through the day. She takes 4-3ounce bottles at daycare. I know that I'm still doing pretty good, but still. I need to keep it going. What else can I do? I pump first thing in the morning on one side (About 2 ounces). I can pump 1 time during the day (My goal is 5 ounces). I then pump 1 side on the way home. That's it. I then nurse all evening and night. I also nurse one or two times in the morning. Any ideas? Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 10-17-2006, 08:14 PM   #2
MamaMel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Supply issues

pump while your DD is nursing. That was the only way I could get a good amount. Sometimes I could get over 4 oz from one breast. Its tricky at first but you'll get the hang of it
MamaMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:17 PM   #3
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Are you having letdown when you pump?? If you aren't having letdown that makes a lot of sense. Then you need to either do something like look at a picture for baby, or what always works for me is to hold something baby recently wore because it has their scent on it...close your eyes and relax too, that makes it SO much easier.

Fenugreek isnt the end-all be-all either...I know oatmeal can bring up your supply...marshmallow root, fennel, blessed thistle, and a few other things. Drinking chamomile tea can help you relax more while pumping too.
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 09:20 AM   #4
crydparker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Why are you not pumping both sides each time?
crydparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 11:15 AM   #5
ebutterfly782
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I started pumping both sides this morning. I figure that I can't empty them while pumping right? I'm sure DD could get enough milk out to eat when I get to here... It worked this morning. On the way home it is a pain to pump both sides and drive. I think I will stick to one side then, but in the morning it is going to be 2 now.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:32 AM   #6
bronxmama
Registered Users

Pumping while they nurse really helps... I pump both sides while driving...

my first born I only pumped 2 oz at at time... what a drag,,, he was drinking over 20 ozing, and I was pumpling every 2 hours at work...

To make up for his drinking, I also pumped 1.5 hours into his daily 3 hour nap (when I was home). I also would pump 1.5 hours after he fell asleep at night, and/or 1.5 hours before he woke up in the morning...

HTH....

P.S. for baby 2, while I am tandem nursing toddler, I get so much milk I don't know what to do with myself!!!
bronxmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 01:24 PM   #7
beenwaitingalongtime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm in the same exact boat--teacher, freezer supply gone (DH tells me it's 'low' when there's one bag left in there!) and production dwindling.
I take fenugreek 600 mg x3, 3x/day (a LOT more than DD's ped had recommended, but I'm following my friend's advice--she's an LC.)
I don't have time to drink water during the day and find myself dying at night. Am trying to work on that more...
I can't find an adapter for my PIS so I pump at lunch and right before going home. I thought I'd have nothing left if I did that, but LC says you can pump/nurse 20 min. later and have started making enough. Also, after DD goes to bed, I pump 2x before going to bed myself (at which point she ALWAYS wakes up to nurse.)
I used to only pump one side, but now I do both--just one at a time. Why not do one side at a time while you're driving?
Since starting the fenugreek on SUnday, I went from making 4 oz/day to 12ish. On the weekends, I'm pumping every time I BF DD--I get a much better letdown that way.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:42 PM   #8
ebutterfly782
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well today DS had a field trip (couldn't take DD it was too cold and windy and the trip was outdooes), and I pumped both sides while driving home. It was ummm... interesting. Once I got the thingies positioned right, I was good to go. I am going to start doing that. I am about to pump again since DD just went to sleep for a nap. I guess I will start pumping as often as possible. And then on weekends I guess I will pump pump pump... Thanks ladies!