Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-15-2008, 01:42 PM   #1
cm.thomas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Help mamas! I dont know how much more I can take!

I know you ladies will be the first to tell me not to give up so that's why I'm asking for your suggestions. DS is EFB and has been since day one, we've battled with GERD and he's doing much better as far as being comfortable and not always screaming but I can't stand to nurse him. All he does is scream at me and pull on and off. It's not fussing it's screaming. He's done this since about 8 wks old and at that point I'm pretty sure if was due to him liking the bottle better than bfing. Now that he's used to going back and forth, I have no idea why he's screaming like this. It's so frustrating for both of us. He'll nurse for maybe 10 minutes (he's definately fussy until I let down) and after let down and nursing, he jsut screams. His medicine seems to be working, he's happy otherwise and does NOT do this when he has a bottle. He seems to do it more when he's really tired as he isn't crazy about being nursed to sleep (he's quite the unusual little boy) but I can't feed him when we go out because all he does is scream. At some points I just think it would be easier to give him a bottle. He'd be happier. But then I remember WHY I'm doing what I'm doing. I'm on the verge but not ready to throw in the towel yet...suggestions? Can LLL help? Should I call and LC??

Advertisement

ISO:BSRB TIANs
cm.thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 02:22 PM   #2
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help mamas! I dont know how much more I can take!

I would bet to say LLL can certainly help (see link in my siggy to find one near you fast). But in the mean time check this out... and know that 10 minutes is quite a long time to be at the breast for an older babe, so maybe he's full???
Old 06-15-2008, 02:41 PM   #3
sillymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Do you have too much milk coming out? My DD would fuss because I had an overactive let down and it would just spray into her mouth. My other thought is that after 10 minutes he is having to work too hard to get milk and gets frustrated. DD was a quick nurser and we usually only spend 10ish minutes on each side. The bottom line is that if you aren't comfortable nursing in public then you can try to schedule errands around feedings, or if you have the option of expressing you can bring a bottle of BM or formula with you. I would definitely find a LC and/or try LLL. I know it is so overwhelming, and you want to do what is best for both of you. Keep up the good work!
sillymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 04:48 PM   #4
cm.thomas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the tips! Sometimes I do think he screams because he doesn't want to eat anymore and I'll stop feeding him, othertimes, he just gets even more mad when I take him away from the breast. Can I just call my local lll leader or should I have gone to a meeting first?
ISO:BSRB TIANs
cm.thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 04:54 PM   #5
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nope - you can just call her up!!!!
Old 06-15-2008, 06:56 PM   #6
kikkiagouti
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with all PP's. He doesn't have thrush does he? Kids can do that when they have thrush. If he's over tired that may have a lot to do with it to. My son screams himself to sleep everynight!
Old 06-15-2008, 07:52 PM   #7
blackapple
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillymama View Post
Do you have too much milk coming out? My DD would fuss because I had an overactive let down and it would just spray into her mouth. My other thought is that after 10 minutes he is having to work too hard to get milk and gets frustrated. DD was a quick nurser and we usually only spend 10ish minutes on each side. The bottom line is that if you aren't comfortable nursing in public then you can try to schedule errands around feedings, or if you have the option of expressing you can bring a bottle of BM or formula with you. I would definitely find a LC and/or try LLL. I know it is so overwhelming, and you want to do what is best for both of you. Keep up the good work!
ditto that!

I found it helped to pump a bit before to remove some of the brunt of it. It also made for fattier milk which was thicker and wasn't as apt to come back up.

HTH

My daughter outgrew it in a few months, maybe 5 months old?
blackapple is offline   Reply With Quote