Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-28-2008, 07:05 PM   #11
madebytrudi
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Full stomach, but brain says keep eating!

I learned about the hypothalymus gland that is messed up & causes you to be hungrier than usual and causes our bodies to store fat no matter what you eat. I've eaten healthy & mostly raw foods for a year and haven't lost a bit. I had exercised 3x a week for a year earlier and only lost 20 lbs. only to gain it back. I would reduce calories and ended putting myself in starvation reflex which also causes they hypothalamus gland to get mixed up. I've supplemented with enough good results to stop my hunger and eat less, but still not losing weight. Sometimes, no matter what you do, you're always hungry & you only gain weight. Very depressing, isn't it?! My doc gave me this article and has started me on a different path to losing weight. This article will explain the study done back in the 50's in Germany.

http://www.thecntr.com/POUNDS&INCHES.pdf

Advertisement

homeschooling mum (d15, d13, d11, s8, s6) Surprise #6 due Aug 13!
Navy vet and wife to a ret. MARINE
Lend Me Your Pen: my kids's homeschooling Magazine project
madebytrudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:25 AM   #12
kakemery
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Everytime you get that urge to keep eating, drink water. If you think that you are getting all of your vitamins, it is very likely that you are not getting enough water. A lot of time your brain confuses dehydration with hunger. You should be getting 64 oz WITHOUT breastfeeding, so even more when you are. My chiropractor said that a better rule of thumb than 8-8oz glasses is half your body weight in oz. So if you are 128lbs, then the 64oz guideline is fine, but the more you weigh, the more you should drink.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:11 PM   #13
sheleighya
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Everything previous posters said. Fruits, vegetables, whole grains, cut the simple sugars, drink lots of water, and a vitamin.

Also, your biggest meal should be breakfast. When urge comes to eat, drink water, then try an all natural fruit juice.

I am only 120lbs, have been dealing with that problem for some years now. I have always had relatively healthy eating habits, so no weight gain issues. But I just drink water, or fruit juice, and ignore it. But I may want to look into thyroid issues. Then again, I do not have a problem gaining or loosing weight, so maybe not.
I've lost custody of my children b/c my religious convictions are opposed to vaccinations, I practiced child-led weaning, and was a stay-at-home mother that desired to home-school. Yet no harm proven! But to have them anytime is enough to know that I'm blessed none-the-less.
sheleighya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 06:49 AM   #14
mcbruhn
Registered Users

I have gestational diabetes and have had to change some of my eating habits. Even pregnant, I ended up losing a little weight (my MW is fine with it), so some of these suggestions MIGHT work for you.

Try to incorporate a little more lean protein into your meals and snacks--like a hard-boiled egg or lowfat cottage cheese at breakfast instead of just cereal. Protein is filling and takes longer to break down than carbs, so you should feel satisfied longer. (I use tofu in my smoothies for that reason).

I learned that you are most insulin-resistant in the early morning, and the nutritionist that I went to suggested limiting carbs to 15g or less in the morning. So cereal is OUT for me. 15g. is like a slice of a lowfat quiche with veggies in it, or a small fruit yogurt, etc. Then 1-2 hours later I can have a snack with more (30g) carbs, say a handful of berries and some yogurt, or an energy bar. I'm also a major fan of snacking on carrots! They're good for you, sweet, and yummy! And don't deny yourself the occasional SMALL cube or slice of cheese. It's filling and satisfying.

The other thing my nutritionist recommended was regular snacking between meals. Seems counterintuitive, but I find now that I'm never starved at lunch or dinner, and I don't overdo it. So between breakfast and lunch, lunch and dinner, and also a snack after dinner. These can be 30g carbs each. I've been treating myself to a dessert after dinner--we went over the carbs on the ice cream at our local store and I found a yummy one that is 15g per half cup. So 1 cup of ice cream is my 2-3 days a week treat!

You can also make yourself some biscotti--a lot of biscotti recipes are lower in sugar, fat and carbohydrates than many other cookies, and they still feel like a major treat! They're not too hard to make, and I'd be happy to send you some of my recipes for them. Just let me know! Another good dessert idea is replacing a lot of the eggs, fat and sugar in a brownie recipe with mashed over-ripe bananas. Easy, tasty, and better for you!

Another surefire thing--and I learned this from the Volumetrics study they did here at Penn State (a diet backed up with real science!)--and that is something that some of the previous posters have said too. Go for foods that have a water content that will help you fill up! So fresh fruit instead of dried. Soups and stews are great for this, too: the liquid in them will help you fill up! Smoothies are great for this too, as long as you control what's in them!

Consider making fruit smoothies for yourself! I use frozen fruit, silken tofu, homemade applesauce (or unsweetened from the store) and nonfat vanilla yogurt, and I add flax seed for added fiber and omega-3s. I add cinnamon for a little spice and added sweetness (helps you to avoid adding sugar). I make them with my stick blender in a glass measuring cup so I can check portion size. I found that a combo of frozen peaches and strawberries makes one that is sweet enough that I don't add extra sugar. They are super rich and filling, and taste a lot more like a dessert than a nutritious meal. I'm planning to start freezing smoothies and treating them like ice cream this summer. My brother-in-law makes his with protein powder for extra oomph, but I can't stand the texture of the stuff (too grainy).

Last edited by mcbruhn; 06-06-2008 at 06:55 AM.
mcbruhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 07:03 AM   #15
mcbruhn
Registered Users

Forgot to mention this earlier--

I do a lot of fruit desserts at home. A real favorite is fruit crisp. The topping is entirely rolled oats, a small amount of sugar, low trans-fat margarine and cinnamon. So you get your fiber there. And then a fruit filling like apples, strawberries with rhubarb, cherries, peaches with blueberries, or something similar. Again, go low on the sugar, high on the spices, and add a little bit of liquid and some cornstarch or flour. It's as satisfying as pie, but better for you, and if you eat small portions of it, you don't feel deprived.

One last suggestion: use smaller plates and bowls. It makes the food look bigger, so it's a nice way to fool yourself, and it also helps you to control portions.

GOOD LUCK!
Old 06-17-2008, 05:49 PM   #16
babyrae85
Registered Users

i had the same problem. i started eating a lot slower and thinking about if my stomch feels full the entire time. after a week i started doing it subconciously and i eat a lot less.
babyrae85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:26 PM   #17
AngelMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm in a similar boat. For me it is more difficult, though, because when I take a vitamin, my baby screams when nursing (he has a beta carotene sensitivity). His sensitivity also leaves out most veggies and fruits. In addition he has sensitivity to dairy and oats.

I find myself looking for something to eat constantly because what I really want is what I can't have. I wind up eating everything in sight to substitute, but nothing solves the "craving."

I also eat when I know I'm full because while I'm full, my palate isn't satisfied.

No advice here, just *hugs*. I am trying to drink 12 - 16 oz of water before eating anything, and am going to start brushing my teeth after eating. Also, I am trying to eat every two hours, which helps significantly (the problem is I frequently miss a mini-meal in the afternoon as DS is attached to me and then gorge in the evening.)

The biggest thing I'm doing is trying to be aware of when I'm eating and why. I find that I frequently will just sit and eat while on the computer. I also have found that I scarf down my food because I'm so used to not having the time to eat. When I scarf, I don't enjoy, and therefore am not satisfied, which leads to more scarfing. I'm trying to interrupt that process and some days are better than others.

To the poster above who said she gained 7 lbs in one week. I'm with you. I often will gain or lose 10 lbs in a week. It's never consistent, though.

I have realized that I can't have things in the house that I want to eat because I have no self control - I bought a bag of mint crunch M&Ms once, saying that I was going to allow myself 2 each day as a treat. Less than 48 hours after opening the bag it was gone - the kids were up all night as was I, and stress led me to eat.

Anyhow, sorry for all of that, but I understand completely!