Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-13-2008, 12:40 PM   #11
BabyOReally
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: He's on all the time!

Sounds completely normal, you are doing a great job mama! Do you have a baby carrier or sling, etc to hold him in? It could be that he isn't hungry all the time... he is just comforted being next to the breast where it is warm and he feels the rythmic breathing and can hear your heart beat. If you can get a carrier then he can be next to the breast all the time and you will still have two hands free to do other things! Snuggle him lots... it may seem like the days are long, but he will be running around creating chaos before you know it!

Advertisement

BabyOReally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 02:58 PM   #12
ebentrup24
Registered Users

Thanks ladies! You have no idea how much better that makes me feel!!
ebentrup24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 11:38 AM   #13
lirpasirhc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i'm sure this has been said, but don't measure your milk output by pumping. your LO is much better at getting milk than the pump. a maternity store in my old neighborhood has a lactation consultant come 3x per week and bring a baby scale. you can weigh your LO, nurse, and then weight again. it's the only accurate way to see what your LO is getting. my DD is 10 weeks. she seems to need to be nursed constantly when she is going through a growth spurt (height or weight) or when she is learning something new. sometimes at night, she goes through "cluster feeding" and needs to be attached almost constantly for 2-4 hours. this lasts for a few days and then she doesn't need it as much. i've read that if your LO is getting sick, they will nurse more often to get your antibodies. even if you haven't had the particular virus/bacteria your LO is fighting, the LOs saliva triggers specific antibodies in your milk. kellymom.com has great info about all nursing issues.
lirpasirhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 04:38 PM   #14
ThatLinGirl
Registered Users
seller

Not only is weighing the baby the only way to know what they're getting -- only doing so once doesn't really tell you much. If you were really paranoid, you could weigh over every feed for 24hrs, but that would STILL only be an average. They'll take much more at some feeds than at others.

Regardless, what you describe is perfectly normal. Fear not -- while they don't start nursing less OFTEN for awhile, they get much much more efficient so you're not spending your whole life with that baby to the breast.

Lindsay, mama to Caroline Lois (05/28/06) and scrunchy new Kate (12/31/08)
ThatLinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:29 PM   #15
Tiffany M.
Registered Users
seller

WELL, IT'S GOOD TO KNOW THAT I'M NOT THE ONLY MOM THAT HAD THAT PROBLEM. =) MY ADVICE IS TO TRY THE PACI! IT COULD BE HE WANTS TO SOOTH HIMSELF BY SUCKING. IT TOOK ME 8 WEEKS TO GET MY BABY TO TAKE IT BUT ONCE SHE DID SHE WASNT ALWAYS ON MY BREAST ALL DAY! IT WAS GREAT BEING ABLE TO GET THINGS DONE W/OUT HAVING TO FEED EVERY HOUR OR SO. THE TRICK W/MY BABY WAS THAT I HAD TO GET HER TO TAKE THE PACI WHEN SHE WAS DOSING OFF TO SLEEP. IF I TRIED ANY OTHER TIME SHE'D GAG ON IT; BUT ONCE SHE REALIZE SHE WOULDNT GAG SHE TOOK IT JUST FINE EVER SINCE. DONT GIVE UP, YOUR DOING GREAT, JUST KEEP TRYING DIFFERENT THINGS.
Tiffany M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:04 PM   #16
KristenDay
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Every 3 weeks until about 4 months are growth spurts and it will feel like you are a human pacifier for a bit. Lol. That's how I was.
KristenDay is offline   Reply With Quote