Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-17-2008, 05:59 PM   #1
TeachinAuntie
Registered Users
Formerly: sgoe***
seller
seller

My Mood:
Mama & Family Cloth & Your Children

Hi Mamas!

So out of nowhere one day, DH says, "Steph, if we have a daughter & you convince her to use the cloth pads, and for some reason you two share them, please don't tell me about that."

OK, so that got me thinking. First, do you share with your daughter/s or does she/they get their own stash? I think I would want to get a stash that meets her personality. (Mine is def. my personality.) Also, DH's argument was would I buy used pads & I won't so then why would I want my daughter to use the same ones I do? Secondly, I asked him what do you mean, convince her? I don't plan on letting it be an option. Mom uses cloth, that is what she'll see & be familiar with. It's better for her body. If she starts out from the get-go with cloth she won't need convincing. (I'd buy her a cute little wet bag for her bookbag at school & she can keep it as private or public as she wants.)

Next up, for mamas who use family cloth but DH isn't on board: do the kids use it too? Is TP only for Dad? Or did you give your kids an option or are they "allowed" to use both?

I know I have a long way to go (since I don't even have a child yet) but these are things I was thinking about & you all have the experience so here I am!

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

TeachinAuntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:09 PM   #2
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Mama & Family Cloth & Your Children

we all use family cloth, even dh i just ask that he throw it in the bag so i dont see it(cause if i dont see it, it doesnt exist )
i would feel uncomfortable sharing cloth pads with anyone personally i wouldnt want to share with my mom or my sisters. not bc its gross but bc im selfish and dont like sharing and seriously thats all i have thats all mine, kwim?
that being said i also do not buy used pads-bc i make them-BUT if i couldnt sew and $$ was an issue i would buy used and bleach them
i would buy your (hypothetical ) dd her own stash of super cute printed pads and a matching wetbag so she can flaunt them in her sposie wearing friends' faces imo its not bc sharing pads is gross necessarily but bc she will have her own style, taste and preferences, kwim? y'all probably wont like the same clothes, so why would you like the exact same pads BUT im sure everyone will want your new stash
my mom always brags to her friends that she doesnt wear "those gross, stinky, chemical-ly" pads hers are cute and soft then she whips one out to show them
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:20 PM   #3
crystalanne79
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I won't share mine as I would find that a little yucky for me. I agree that they also reflect a person's personality and taste. Some people prefer different fabrics and sizes.

I use family cloth and so does DD (except for #2 for DD as she has some super yucky poop right now-laxitive twice a day'll do that) but DH doesn't and that's okay with me. He doesn't go through much anyways so we're saving tons with even just me and DD using it.

crystalanne79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:21 PM   #4
sandrc
Registered Users
seller

I was thinking about this yesterday. my sister has horrid cycles and just lots of trouble in the female area in general. I was thinking of offering her a cloth pad to try but then i thought... eh, i know what goes on there and then i thought of her husband and it just put me in a bad mental state.
anyway. no, my stash is my own (for pads anyway) i'm sure dd would want her own anyway.
we have TP and family cloth. dd and i use the cloth, dd also uses the TP on occasion so she knows how to use both. i do plan on letting her try sposie feminine stuff if she wants when the time comes and letting her make her own decision. specially since i do have sposies in the house incase either of my sisters need it and my niece is getting to that age to need some as well. i'm sure i'll still have the same sposies when my dd needs pads that i bought before she was born.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:27 PM   #5
4chixmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't use mama cloth, but myself & my 3 dds that use the toilet all use family cloth. It's all in a basket in the bathroom. My dh & brother who lives here use tp in their bathroom.
4chixmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:59 PM   #6
TeachinAuntie
Registered Users
Formerly: sgoe***
seller
seller

My Mood:

So basically ya'll feel the same way as me. I think hypothetical DD should have her own personalized stash (a matchy wet-bag is a great idea!) and I plan on taking TP out of "our bathroom" and only having it in the guest bath (which is really DH's bathroom). So our kids would be using the bathroom that has the TP in it. I think with little ones they could get confused & accidentally flush the cloth? Anyway, I think TP is a little bit easier for me to let them choose on their own, but mama cloth is better for your body & to me that's important. I used to have AWFUL periods & now I don't...I seriously pin it on the cloth pads.

TeachinAuntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:16 PM   #7
CTH3989
Registered Users
seller

I wish we used family cloth. DH thinks it's disgusting. I think he uses up way too much TP and is stopping up the toilet. I think I'm just going to make the switch (I use cloth wipes with DS) and when we run out of TP, if he wants to use it, he will have to buy it.

Oh, I wouldn't share my mama pads with my DD, I would buy her her own.
CTH3989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:24 PM   #8
~*~Sunflower~*~
Registered Users
seller
seller

Well, my oldest dd intended to use cloth when she started menstruating, but then it happened & she was freaked! Now, 6 yrs later she is finally ready to use cloth. She probably wouldn't mind sharing, but we wont. I ick out easier than she does LOL! Plus I need overnight pads for daytime too & she doesn't, so like you said she needs something custom to her body/cycle.
~*~Sunflower~*~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:34 PM   #9
Gatherer
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a boy and he's still in diapers, but when he potty trains I plan to use family cloth for him, so that's what he'll learn to use. I just started using family cloth when we started cding (three months ago) and my husband is not on board yet. Hopefully by the time The Boy is ready, husband will have been using it for a while.
Gatherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:39 PM   #10
cheygirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

wow i can't imagine anyone sharing mama cloth, somehow. Sounds like your DH is a bit weirded out by the concept of mama cloth; maybe he needs some time to get used to it!

I'm going to buy my daughter a set of cloth pads (can't really call it mama cloth for her) when she gets her first period. If she wants disposables she'll have to find a way to pay for them herself, and she'll get my opinion on why disposables are a lousy way to treat the earth, and one's own body.