Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-22-2008, 08:21 PM   #11
clarinetb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Milk before 12 months

I noticed you're up here in Canada The recommendations here are actual that you can start introducing between 10 months and a year, so that is something

I wouldn't worry about introducing, but do try before you go back to get her used to it and make sure she doesn't react. Apparently they can react to cow's milk even if they don't have an allergy to yogurt and cheese (don't have a reference, just been told and seems plausible...)

Advertisement

Old 06-22-2008, 09:43 PM   #12
sisterof10
Registered Users

I think that like several PP's have said, the benchmark is to prevent moms from thinking that cow's milk has all the nutrients needed for an infant. I've never given it before 1, but I don't think it'd be a big deal if she's eating a lot of other stuff.
Will she drink kefir? It's very milk-like and is also a great pro-biotic.
Goat milk is supposed to be closer to human milk than cow's milk, so that would be another option.
sisterof10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:26 PM   #13
~Peach~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I started milk at around 11 mos cus my LO weaned herself and I honestly didnt wanna spend the money on formula I talked to my ped about it before I went ahead and did it and he said as long as she hasnt had any reactions to any other dairy products or to the milk itself it would be fine to start it early. We haven't had any issues at all but we did mostly bf for about 2 weeks with supplementing with milk and then at 11.5 mos went fully to cows milk.

Sakura Knit YYMN giveaway at 100 fans!
~Peach~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 11:46 PM   #14
katesmash
Registered Users
seller

On a similar note, I thought I'd ask my question here since we're talking about milk products...
My MIL gave my DD (who is 7 1/2 months old) a couple spoonfuls of dairy queen soft serve icecream today... before I had a chance to stop her. DD has already eaten yogurt and loved it, with no reactions, and snuck a tiny piece of cheese off a pizza pretzel once.
Will she be ok? Should I talk to our doctor? My doctor is from Africa and I don't bring up a lot of issues with her because honestly half the time I have trouble understanding what she says through her accent