Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-25-2008, 09:44 AM   #1
Violet1983
Registered Users

7 mo & strangers

My DD is 7 months old and for about a month now literally cries and cries when a stranger even looks at her and she catches their eyes. If a stranger just looks at her for a second or so, she is fine, but if they look and talk and 'coo' at her, for more than like 10 seconds, she has this terrifying cry and I have to take her away from the situation to make her stop. I feel horrible, b/c she is always doing it and I dont want her to be terrified of strangers like this who just want to look at her. kwim?

She was like this with my dad, and we kind of had to "bribe" her with toys, he wouldn't look at her, and hand her toys, play with her, and then he would look at her and hand her toys and she got over it. I'm just confused . I have no idea how to control this.

At Lowes the other day, a man was helping me look for a tube i needed and she freaked out and he wasn't even looking at her, I normally try to distract her before she gets to that point, but its still saddens me .

Advertisement

Mommy to Aleena Noelle 11/07 and expecting another little girl in Dec!
Violet1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 11:17 AM   #2
SmileyMoo
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: 7 mo & strangers

My oldest daughter was like that. She is now a well rounded, normal and socially functioning child at 7 years old. Some babies just go through that. I don't think its anything you need to worry about. Just tell her in a calm voice "its ok baby, mama's right here. You don't have to go to anyone" keep reassuring her that no one is going to take her. I think it is an anxiety that someone else will want to hold her other than mama. It will get better
Old 06-25-2008, 11:21 AM   #3
trilla_marion
Registered Users

My Mood:

It's a phase. It's stranger anxiety. Kit went through that at the same time she was going through separation anxiety and she wouldn't even let my dh hold her...hehe...but they do get over it. Now she goes up to people she doesn't know...*I* know them but she doesn't, and she wants them to pick her up...-_-.....It's hard but it is just a phase. Good luck surviving it.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:28 AM   #4
Trin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Playing Strange. Its normal.

My dd did it a bit earlier and is now getting better but she did it with anybody that wasn't me, my mom (who watches her while I work) or my husband. She sees her aunts every day and she still did it to them. She would cry if she even heard my sister talk!
Trin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 11:40 AM   #5
amybabya
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just a phase. My older DD was so scared of men when she was a baby. She only liked DH and my brother - but just a little.
DD2 was the same way but has warmed up sooner than her sister did.
I just don't force them. If they don't like pp, fine with me. Older DD now is a motor mouth and papa is one of her favorite pp. She still won't talk to a stranger and again, fine with me.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:24 PM   #6
Sunnyj
Registered Users

My Mood:

My DD was the same way! She screamed when my Mother-in-law looked at her (that was funny to see!). Now she is one and she is getting better. She still won't let people hold her, but they can look at her and talk to her. HTH
Old 06-25-2008, 03:11 PM   #7
Violet1983
Registered Users

thank you so much mommas! im glad to know that its just a phase
I just felt so bad that she was doing that to everyone (minus a few) around her .. lol.

im more relieved! thanks!!

Mommy to Aleena Noelle 11/07 and expecting another little girl in Dec!
Violet1983 is offline   Reply With Quote