Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-23-2006, 08:10 AM   #1
Severine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Do you like oatmeal? Tried this for DD this morning..

I got the recipe from Super Baby Foods and she seemed to really like it. We *try* not to use much processed foods, but finding the time to make "real" oatmeal in the morning is difficult with our schedule. So this is what I did...

1 cup brown rice (uncooked)
1 cup steel-cut oatmeal (not quick oats, uncooked) (or you can use 2 cups of any combo of whole grains)
2 apples, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup raisins
5 cups water
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Put the above in a crockpot right before bed. Cook on low overnight and it will be ready when you wake up (and your house will smell wonderful!). Add honey or whatever natural sweetener to taste (we used Agave Nectar) and/or milk, if desired.

I don't eat oatmeal so I can't personally tell you how it tasted. But DD LOVED it! So I thought I'd throw it out there for those looking for a quick hearty and healthy breakfast without the microwave and prepackaged junk.

Advertisement

Severine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 09:46 AM   #2
FitMommyOf2
I wish I could turn the tide!
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you like oatmeal? Tried this for DD this morning..

I might have to try that. We're oatmeal junkies here and both of my kids love my concoction of 1/2 cup oatmeal heated in the microwave for 1-2 mins (w/milk) and then 1/2 c cottage cheese added to the mix. Sweeten to taste + some coco and cinnamon and they both gobble it up. It's the perfect balance of protein & carbs w/hardly any fat (I know, kids need it, I don't lol)
Old 10-23-2006, 10:47 AM   #3
stephdpn
Registered Users
seller

That sounds good Carrie, and I think I have all that stuff on hand! Thanks!
Old 10-23-2006, 11:37 AM   #4
AshersMommy
Registered Users
seller

Sounds delicious! I bought a huge thing of oatmeal when we last went to Sams Club... been having a bowl every morning, and it gets kinda plain after awhile. My SO suggested cubing and baking apples covered in cinnamon, then mixing that in.

Like to read? Want something new? Come join us in the March Used Book Swap!
AshersMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 12:10 PM   #5
keegans_mommy
I had the CD wagon impounded!
seller

My Mood:

Oh sounds yummy! My kids love oatmeal but I am trying to get away from the pre-packaged and flavored oatmeal and bought a huge box of old fashioned/cook em' on the stove oatmeal from Costco and need oatmeal recipe's!
These are great!

Last edited by keegans_mommy; 10-25-2006 at 01:02 PM.
keegans_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 08:59 PM   #6
thumbelinadiapers
Registered Users

This recipe sounds yummy! I decided to make it, and got everything at the store today,(cept the raisons, i forgot ) I had never seen stone cut oats before! They are cool! So its in the crockpot heating up! I had the kids help, as incentive to eat it in the morning. I think we'll be eating this the rest of the week. Oh, and I added 1/2 cup dried blueberries, cause I didn't have raisons, i hope its okay with the apple and cinnamon!
Old 10-25-2006, 07:42 AM   #7
Severine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumbelinadiapers View Post
Oh, and I added 1/2 cup dried blueberries, cause I didn't have raisons, i hope its okay with the apple and cinnamon!
The recipe did say that you can use any dried fruit, so it should be fine. I just put raisins since that's what we used. How'd everyone like it?
Severine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 08:09 AM   #8
momto2boysinOnt
Registered Users
seller

Funny you should post this. I found a very similar recipe on the internet last week while searching for crockpot recipes using apples. I made it for breakfast this morning. The kids loved it. Mine just had oatmeal in it, no brown rice. I think I'll try yours tomorrow because it should have even more whole grain goodness.

Thanks for posting!
Old 10-25-2006, 08:35 AM   #9
jillkuster
Registered Users
seller

Wow....what an industrious Mama. I threw a thing of Quakers packages into the cart yesterday and felt like I had it covered.
I'm going to try your recipie, as Oatmeal is one thing all my kids will eat and I've been trying to find something warm for Ezra in the mornings.
I'm excited to try this.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:44 AM   #10
thumbelinadiapers
Registered Users

ok peoples, makesure the crock pot is on LOW!!!!! hehe, mine was on high. Still turned out ok. just ok though, the dried blueberries were not good. I think raisons are definitely the way to go.....great texture though! I think a little salt should be added with the water too. Pretty yummy!