Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-22-2006, 08:07 PM   #11
jennylou
Registered Users

Re: Pumping - Is there some kind of trick to it?

I lean forward a bit too, as mentioned by a PP.

In addition to that, I find that if I sort of massage my breast I can get more.

Also, I try to pump early in the morning since she's sttn now and I wake up soaked. If I wake up to pee, I try to just pump a little on both sides. Or, if I wake up before her in the morning, I pump a few minutes on both sides to get rid of the engorgement. I get most then - about 5 ounces, and I could get more, but I don't really take that much - it's just so that I won't leak through the nursing pads and onto my shirt.

Advertisement

Old 10-23-2006, 02:22 AM   #12
momx2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think about a let down tingle and then it starts. lol moooooo .....

Definitely keep trying. I started pumping with dd on one boob and the pump on the other. that way when I let down, it's coming out of both sides. LOL
momx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 09:04 AM   #13
HeidiMarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Make sure you have a good breast pump and try pumping one side while nursing baby on the other. I did this with all my kiddos before I went back to work to build up my stash and it worked great. Your milk should let down to your baby nursing and you can take advantage of that! If you are separated from your baby and pumping only it can take some time to get your milk to let down to the pump but just keep trying. It ususally will eventually! Good luck! )
Old 10-23-2006, 09:35 AM   #14
AshersMommy
Registered Users
seller

I use a secondhand Avent Isis manual pump, and have a couple of questions.

1) How do you pump and nurse at the same time? When I nurse Asher in the cradle position, his feet will kick the pump and normally kick it hard enough to remove it from the boob (or I'll catch his foot between the handle and the bottle!).

2) I've been trying to pump as much as possible, and can only get 2-3 oz a day. Sometimes I will compress my breast while pumping, and the milk will flow a lot faster. Is this okay??

3) What is a let down tingle and how can you cause it? I haven't felt anything when nursing. Is this the slightly painful, pins-and-needles feeling? I'll get that about 20 minutes prior to him waking and wanting to nurse...
AshersMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 09:56 AM   #15
crunchychristianmom
Registered Users
seller

1) How do you pump and nurse at the same time? When I nurse Asher in the cradle position, his feet will kick the pump and normally kick it hard enough to remove it from the boob (or I'll catch his foot between the handle and the bottle!).

Do you know how to nurse in the football hold? Put his body under your arm on the side he's nursing on, perpendicular to the back of your seat, with his bottom against the back cushion or a pillow. His feet will be up behind your shoulder. Might be a little awkward at first. Otherwise, you could put a small stiff pillow on top of his legs under the pump. Or if DH is home, have him hold baby's feet while you get started. It really does make a big difference so it's worth figuring it out!

2) I've been trying to pump as much as possible, and can only get 2-3 oz a day. Sometimes I will compress my breast while pumping, and the milk will flow a lot faster. Is this okay??

Yes, that's fine, just be gentle, using four fingers to move in a rolling motion from the outside of the breast toward the nipple. When you pump, do you go back and forth between each breast several times? If not, try that. Pump for a couple minutes on one side, then switch. Repeat. You don't have to wait for milk to start coming before you switch. Just keep repeating until you're getting enough to catch.

3) What is a let down tingle and how can you cause it? I haven't felt anything when nursing. Is this the slightly painful, pins-and-needles feeling? I'll get that about 20 minutes prior to him waking and wanting to nurse...

That's the same feeling. Some women get it while the milk is being released, but not all. Sometimes it goes away as baby gets older, but not always.

http://crunchychristianmom.blogspot.com
crunchychristianmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 10:57 AM   #16
CJNeeley
Registered Users
seller

I have three; ds1 I exclusively pumped, ds2 I EBF, dd I do a combination of the two. I also struggled with ds1 to establish my supply-took me like 3 or 4 days before i made 1/2 a cc of colestrum (for reference sake, that's close to, but less than, an 1/8 tsp) so sometimes it's a choice of how hard you're wiling/able to work at it. I eventually was able to make about 16 oz per pumping sesson and then my milk dried up around 3 mo and it was too hard trying to reestablish it with him needing so much attention--he was a high needs preemie--so I had to stop but I had even back supply that he was able to have some breastmilk (as well as some formula) all thru his first 9 mos and then I think he had just the breastmilk thru the rest of his first year. So don't give up because it slow coming but don't feel bad later if you can't do it. Trust that you'll be able to do what your baby needs you to do.

My pumping tips:
w/o baby (ds1) -
* When possible I'd pump by his bedside when was sleeping, helped me to let down having him nearby. When I wasn't around him I'd try to think about him, (some mamas I knew found looking at a picture of their baby helpful, one even taped a little picture of her son on the pump itself, but for me it wasn't) and found drinking something warm like tea, warm milk or even warm water help me let down.
* I'd pump right after a shower or bath because the water would help it flow. If my breasts felt full but not much milk was coming out I'd get a small bowl or basin and soak one or both (depending on what was the problem) in water as warm as I could stand for 5-10 mins. Massage them a bit at the top where they meet your chest and along the sides, or sometimes breast exam style, and then try the pump again. This would generally get them flowing.
* When trying to increase the supply I would try to simulate the power nursing phases he should be going thru--the nurses or maybes the LCs told me what week and month marks babies should be hitting growth spurts and wanting to nurse more frequently to build supply--by pumping every 1.5 hrs instead of every 3 and pumping 5 mins per side alternating breasts for 30 mins, so 3 times on ea side, for 2 or 3 days (depending on how soon I noticed a difference in the amt of milk I was getting) and I believe I was told the one around 6 mos should last about 4-7 days but I didn't make it that far.
* Someone, again may have been a nurse or a LC, told me that a nursing baby rarely stops sucking when they stop swallowing--I later noticed with my two that nursed that this really is true--so I shouldn't stop pumping as soon as the milk stops coming. So I'd pump 2-5 more mins after the flow stopped depending on how hurried I was (on the electric pump I did this on a slower speed).

extra things to do w/baby (dd):
* Pumping one side, while she nurses on the other.
* To increase supply, pumping just after she nurses for about 5-10 mins a side.
* Breastfeeding tea (bought some from a mama on here and it was great, would have gotten more but lost track of her info, I think she runs Dixie Babies though) - There's really no reason this couldn't be done w/o baby I just happened to have discovered it this go around.

Another thing that made a difference was what kind of pump. I had success wth both electric and manual ones but have had better luck with medela (both) and avent (manual) than first years (electric) and gerber (manual). Gerber is super easy to use and good for dealing with engorgement in the beginning and the slap dab overnight weaning of ds2 but isn't to practical in the amount of time it takes if you actually want to empty the breast--so not too useful if you want to bottlefeed with any regularity or build a stash. First years is adequate if you are not exclusively pumping and works just fine if you want to double pump, but for one breast I can get the milk out much faster with one of my hand pumps (medela/avent). Hand pump wise, Medela got more milk out faster but avent is a little gentler and an easier motion if you are pumping frequently (my arms would sometime tire with frequent use of the medela manual). The Medela electric was wonderful, works great for one breast or two. The hospital grade was stronger and I did prefer it when establishing supply but honestly the PIS was more than adequate, it was great, great, great and I would have happily bought one with ds1 had I not had to stop. So you may just want to try some other pumps if you aren't happy with the one you are currently using...

Hope something in there helps you. I'm sure there's tons more stuff I did but these are the things that are really standing out as having a major impact.

CJ

ETA: SOmeone told me to pump before baby nurses as they can empty it better than the pump and will still be able to get milk even though you can't. But I haven't tried that yet so I can attest to its results. You might want to try though.

Last edited by CJNeeley; 10-23-2006 at 11:02 AM.
CJNeeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 05:26 PM   #17
Mom2Natalya
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterabbit View Post
It took me about 2 weeks before my body started to respond to the pump. Don't give up! Oh and what kind of pump are you using?
ITA
I had to "get used" to pumping. OVer time, I started to express more.
Plus, changing pumps helped too. I started with a Medela PIS, then got an Avent IQ Isis Duo - I pumped twice as much with it b/c I could set it to imitate my baby's natural sucking pattern.

Old 10-25-2006, 08:08 AM   #18
janellybean28
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions and encouragement! I'm currently using a Medela single electric pump because I had heard that they were a really good brand. It helps to know that sometimes it takes a while for your body to get used to pumping. I guess the most important thing is to experiment with different things to see what works and keep trying to pump. Thanks again for all your help! I really appreciate it!
Old 10-25-2006, 01:09 PM   #19
LaniMami
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would suggest a dual electric breast pump if you are going to be pumping regularly. I have an Ameda purely yours and love it. Also, my breasts are not perky by far, and I find if I hold them up a bit while pumping (hands cupping underneath and holding flanges against nipples) that alot more milk come out.
LaniMami is offline   Reply With Quote