Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 06-18-2008, 02:58 AM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Anyone in Heidelberg (or near to it?)

We're moving there in December

I can't wait!!!

DH was born there and the ILs were stationed there so we have SO much info about what we should do, but that info is over a decade out of date!

What's good to do around there?

I'll have a 13mo by the time we move and hopefully be pg with #2!!!!

Momma to the Monster - proud to the Pwntato
Cautiously expecting a miracle due 2/2010!

***4***8***12***16**20***24***28***32***36 ***40
ShamroxGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:10 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Anyone in Heidelberg (or near to it?)

We MIGHT be moving to either Kaiserslautern or Stuttgart - Heidelberg is in between these 2. So I think we'd be 1-2 hours away.
Jill wife to Eric, SAHM of Elexa (8) Abe (3) and Toby (2)

ISO: BG Elementals or PAYPAL IHA: BBOS
jmbisignano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 08:13 AM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Anyone in Heidelberg (or near to it?)

I'm out here! ... well... about an hour from there by car I'm closer to Mannheim which did have a large base a few years before I came, and was then downsized.

I'm no longer with the military (dad retired in '99), I am married to a German National. If you can get down from Heidelberg to Karlsruhe or Rastatt, or over to Mannheim, there is tons and tons that can be done there on a low budget. Heidelberg has quite a few things that can be done as far as sightseeing, though I have to admit I only spent a whole day there, so I don't know all too much about that part of the area.

There are so many castles here in the Bergstrasse area, so definitely those are on the list even with little ones. Most times entry fees are about 3-5 Euro for an adult and around 1-3 Euro for a child.

If you travel north of Heidelberg to Darmstadt, there is also tons that can be done there on a low budget, as well as Heppenheim, Bensheim and the smaller towns like Lorsch (more history there than tons to see and do like in Mannheim).

Check out on Wikipedia, as that is a good start to get the history and info, and then you can access the page for each city there (most times in german only), and find places like in Mannheim, the Luisenpark really easily.

Holler if you need any tips and hints of "must sees".

HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote