Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-29-2008, 12:10 PM   #1
~Ashley~
Registered Users

My Mood:
wth are doublers???

so yes, I am still very new at this, but I watch a little girl once a week that is CD'd and her mom only ever leaves a bunch of pf's, 2 extra covers, and a few snappis. I keep trying to talk to her, even just on the phone, and when I asked her she said "it's just an extra thing" and then started talking about her dinner for that night At first she was really happy I want to start CD'ing, but now she keeps asking me why I want to switch and why I think it's so much better and telling me how much more laundry I will have to do. She actually gave me a few never used pf's and a snappi, I had 2 but my mom's dog chewed the other, and was helping me a lot with which things I should and shouldn't get & such, but now she's acting like I'm a copy cat and doesn't want to help at all. She is pg and on bedrest, but that shouldn't account for her sudden change of heart. Anyway, I that was a little off topic, but I have asked a few other people and they look at me like I'm from mars and should already know. So wth is a doubler and what are they used for???

ETA: second question a few posts down

Advertisement

Last edited by ~Ashley~; 06-29-2008 at 12:55 PM.
~Ashley~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 12:22 PM   #2
Chesherca
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: wth are doublers???

A doubler is just an extra bit of stuffin' that lays in the diaper to help it soak up more. . . just a pad of fabric. You can make your own doublers by putting an extra folded pre-fold or flat into the diaper. If you have pre-folds, lay one out to put on the baby like you normally would, then fold another into thirds (I do it long-ways, but I suppose it could go either way) and lay it in the "wet zone," right down the center of your pre-fold. That way the baby will have more absorbency where she needs it, and you won't have to change the diaper as quickly. . . plus you'll probably have less trouble with leaks!

Sounds like that mom is having serious hormone-induced mood-swings. Just ignore her - there are TONS of momma's on her that know what they're talking about and are willing to help! Maybe she is jealous that you want to do it, too - now she's not the "best" momma on the block anymore! People are silly sometimes. . .

Come visit my family at Huginn,Muninn,and Me

Last edited by Chesherca; 06-29-2008 at 12:25 PM.
Chesherca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 12:23 PM   #3
mommycaitlin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

A doubler is just a little pad made of microfiber, bamboo, hemp, terry, flannel, etc. that you place between the diaper and your baby to make it more absorbant. They're really good for using at night or if your baby is a really heavy wetter and soaks through diapers too quickly.
mommycaitlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 12:50 PM   #4
~Ashley~
Registered Users

My Mood:
Talking Re: wth are doublers???

thank you so much. So since i'm going to do pf's I can just put one down like a diaper and then use another for a doubler? is it easier to just use the actual doublers in this case? oh, and while I'm at it, I plan on getting the thirsties covers to use. How many will I need for just one days worth of diapering? (assuming he doesn't blow his diaper up ) I was think about just getting 2 for now
Old 06-29-2008, 01:49 PM   #5
Mrs-Mama
Registered Users

My Mood:

You could do two prefolds together, but that might be a little bulky. For an older baby, you could use a premium prefold with a preemie or infant prefold for a doubler, I suppose.

If I were you, I'd get one more cover, even if you're going to wash everyday. Thirsties do dry super fast and have the advantage of a slick inside so that they can be wiped out, so you probably could get away with two.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:54 PM   #6
sjanea74
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

cut up flannel receivig blakets, washcloths or cloth wipes can all make good doublers. It doesn't have to be prefold. I got some premie and newborn prefolds and use them asdoublers at night but you really can use anything that will hold pee

sjanea74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 01:57 PM   #7
Sweetforestcat
Registered Users
seller

here is a good link for pictures

http://diaperware.com/productpage/doublers.htm

We use hemp doublers in every diaper here for my supersoakers (except pockets). They have saved us from ruin many many times!
Old 06-29-2008, 02:33 PM   #8
~Ashley~
Registered Users

My Mood:

thanks for all the advice, I'm certain I will have more questions, but for now I'm off to order some pf's, snappi's, covers, and baby legs