Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-29-2008, 04:08 PM   #1
kycanonist
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'm starting back on Tues... need support....

Hey Ladies - Well, here's the deal. I've been able to be home for the past six years. My older daughter is almost six and I quit my full-time job when she was born. I've done independent contract work since then. My younger daughter just turned two in May.

Things are just too tight financially and I'm going to be working outside the home. The bonus is that it's still contract work, so, if I want to go on one of my daughter's field trips, I can still do that, since I'm not required to be anywhere. The work can only be done in the office because it's working on confidential files so I can't take them out of the office.

I'm planning on three days a week. I'll work Tues, Weds, Thurs. My DH is a teacher and he is off all of July, so he'll have them those three days a week during July. Then, in August, when school starts back up, my older one will be in first grade and the younger one will start nursery school.

I haven't worked outside of the home in so long that I'll be honest... I'm a little scared! We did vacation Bible school last week and I put my 2 year old into the nursery and it was UGLY! Leaving her there just broke my heart on so many levels... she just screamed and cried and spent one full day asking if she could go find me...

Does this get easier? I mean, I know that I need to be working - not just for the money, but I'm slowly losing what little sanity I have left... I need the adult time... I've been losing patience and I'm just not myself these days... so, I think going back will work for me in the long run and therefore for my family... but I'm just terrified of going back to work at the same time...

Is this crazy???

Jacqui

Advertisement

kycanonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 05:16 PM   #2
Ali
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I'm starting back on Tues... need support....

Hi Jacqui,

((((hugs)))) Seeing your little one cry when you leave is heart breaking, hey? I'm a big proponent of sending little ones 2 and over to preschool even if you are a SAHM because it allows them a little independence and they can socialize w/ their peer group, however I know how hard it is to leave a crying child who can't understand why you are leaving them. I think you just have to take a deep breath and be confident in the knowledge that you are leaving them with good caregivers and I bet in a few weeks time the drop offs will get much easier.

I also think working out of the home sometimes allows for better focus and concentration so you may zoom through your work faster than you would at home.

I guess I would just focus on the positive reasons why you are going back to work outside of the home and do your best not to feel guilty, as moms we have enough guilt, KWIM? Good luck!

Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 05:31 PM   #3
kycanonist
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I really think that by sending her to nursery school and not just daycare will really be to her advantage in the long run... but it really doesn't change the feelings of angst when I'm going to be dropping her off... hopefully it will all work out okay...
kycanonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:14 AM   #4
Mommimi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes it does get better. It should get better every day and she should adjust within 2-4 weeks. If it does not improve, then i would look to see if its the right provider or childcare placement for her. I know its hard to se LO cry her heart out. But you'll both make it through.