Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-26-2006, 04:23 PM   #1
Desiree_Leigh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
BFing and BCPs

I want desperately to go back on the pill, but the pill I was on before (Marvelon www.marvelon.ca) isn't a mini-pill. A friend suggested Cerazette, which is a mini-pill, and so I'm going to ask my doc about that one. The question I have is, why is it that a mini-pill is ok for nursing, and the other kind isn't? My DD is 16 months old and nursing a couple times during the day, and then at night. I know that the pill can mess with your milk production, but is it as big a concern when my DD is as old as she is and our nursing relationship is well established? Thanks!!!

- Desiree

Advertisement

Desiree_Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 04:26 PM   #2
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: BFing and BCPs

I beleive that the mini-pill only has one type of hormones instead of the 2 that are in regular bcps. Because of that, it doesn't effect your supply as much.
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 04:27 PM   #3
mama23boys
Banned
seller

i could be wrong but the mini-pill works only for the first 6months. after that you need a regular BCP......

as for it affecting your milk supply it could but more then likely not since she is 16months.
mama23boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 06:48 PM   #4
Shawna_L
Banned

I use the minipill and it has just one hormone....progestin. It does not decrease milk supply. It can be used as long as baby is exclusively breastfed.

It does three things. First, like regular birth control pills, it makes your body "think" that you are pregnant. Second, it causes changes in your uterus that make it less likely for a pregnancy to get started even if an egg is released. Third, it thickens the mucus between your uterus and your vagina. Sperm have a hard time getting through the thick mucus to reach the egg.

You have to make sure to take it the same time every day and unlike regular BCP there is not a week of placebo pills...all of them are active and must be taken.

I have not had any negative reactions to the minipill...unlike regular BCP.

Shawna_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 07:23 PM   #5
yellowcampcat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I took Micronor (progestin only mini-pill) for a year after having my first dd. I stopped when I weaned her, and got pg 2 months later (which is what we wanted.) I never had supply issues. When you nurse your estrogen is naturally low and prolactin is high. Taking an estrogen containing pill can inhibit your supply, but progestin only ones don't (at least according to my OB and in my experience.) There are also generics of these mini pills that are cheaper!
yellowcampcat is offline   Reply With Quote