Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 07-01-2008, 11:35 AM   #11
Registered Users
Re: Runners!!! ? re: running outside vs. treadmill

I'm not a big runner myself but grew up w/ runners and have lots of runner friends. I will say that running outside vs. a treadmill is very different b/c there are variances in terrain that a treadmill can never match. Plus, if the 10k you're running is on paved roads, that does quite a number on your feet and knees if you're not used to it. In other words, it would be good for you to get some real road time in.

Do you belong to a runners group? They're great for motivation, support and training tips. If not, find or start one for moms and you guys could share a sitter. Or you could trade sitting duties w/ a running buddy so that you all get some road time.

If there's a dedicated runner's store in your town, there should be running groups there. If not, just google "running club/group and your town" to find some resources.

GL - it's awesome that you're challenging yourself to try something new.

William Lee is here one month early!
8.28.09 5 lbs 1 oz 16.5 in

beautifulbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:56 AM   #12
My Mood:

I love running!!!!!! Good for you wanting to try a 10k!!!!!! I just started running again and had forgotten how much i love it I agree w/ pp, Runner's Magazine is an awesome resource!!!! i go to the library and read it for free and in the air conditioning
Kim(45) ,mam toM,23M, 20K,11and A,4 and Oma (grandma) to T and B born 3/20/11
gogokim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 12:51 PM   #13
Registered Users
My Mood:

If you can line up playdates for the 2 older ones 1x a week and then take the boys in the stoller, or maybe a sitter every other week. or some combination. I personally thinkt that the sooner you can get outside the btter , but you said DH is coming home in Sept & the race is in Oct, (not knowing the dates, but assuming a couple of weeks apart) and you start running outside when dh was home 1x a week, I would say you would be fine, as far as adjusting to being outside before the race

Honestly if you "had" to do all of your training on the treadmill and then just showed up to the race, you should be fine, for this distance.

Just be sure to vary your incline & speeds.

Not trying to be a no it all, running is just a big passion of mine & I am just getting back to it after dd was born, I have the double jogger, it's heavy,yeah, but it just makes you stronger!
Banned for 1 year due to swaps not being fulfilled in a timely manner
racha710 is offline   Reply With Quote