Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-25-2006, 07:35 PM   #21
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Breastfeeding and clothdiapering = insane!??

Oh trust me, you arn't alone in the way you feel. I used to LOVE Baby Story, until I started to realize that they (in general) only do episodes with very ordinary "run of the mill" families. All the episodes seem exactly alike to me, and there are SO many things that make me mad. Sometimes I get erked by the idiotic people on the show and yell out "oh my word, this is just ridiculous!"
And Lord forbid they EVER have an alternative family on there. Ive seen all of 2 episodes that showed moms using cloth diapers (and mind you I used to watch 4 episodes a day).
And I hate that they BLUR out a nipple. *sorry, just tossing that in

Advertisement

Old 10-26-2006, 05:05 AM   #22
newlywaaz
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootsiemomma View Post
Have any of ya'll seen Surviving Motherhood?? I watch that one sometimes too but have def noticed that they all seem to ff. They never talk about breastfeeding or cding or anything like that, you would think out of all the mommas that they show on there, that at least one would do it
One of the few shows I saw had two bfing mothers, one of whom I think had a cloth diaper sticking out of her bag. They talked quite a bit about ff vs. bf, and I thought it was a pretty fair discussion (for once). It was one of the first episodes aired, we quit our cable soon after b/c we were moving.
newlywaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 10:49 AM   #23
A'smommy
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamtiger View Post
um respectfully asking a question as a new mom, CDing, BFing...when I saw the topic post I thought it was in seriousness... because when i first came home with my 6 wk preemie who had trouble BFing, the thought of using my IPF and Proraps were stressful, and Pampers were all we used for the first few weeks. When I and DD began to get into a better groove, I gained enough confidence to CD most of the day, and now, I CD when I'm out and trying to figure out a CD system for nightime.

Did anyone else have trouble getting the hang of CD at first with the stress of difficult BFing or was it just me? Or is that just a different thread altogether

Hey, dreamtiger, no, you're not the only one. I had a group of crunchy friends talk me into CD'ing but in the beginning I hardly knew if it was day or night most of the time! I had trouble positioning DD to nurse (stitches) and we didn't get into a groove until about 4 weeks. I had started using some of the cloth dipes they gave me for my shower, but gave up after a few thousand dipes (OK, I'm exaggerating)...and those dipes sat in the pail for several days! They were sooo nasty! My mom wanted to throw them out but I insisted we sanitize them. (I confess, I used bleach. ) In the end I gave them away.

To my friends I've recommended using sposies for the first couple weeks at least, then switching over. It's hard to clean meconium off cloth dipes sometimes anyway. To the ones that go cloth all the way, however, I salute you! I just had to recognize my own personal limitations and figure out what worked for us.

Congrats! and good luck

P.S. For nighttime there's a lot of moms that swear by prefolds under wool covers. I haven't tried those yet, but we do have a Honeyboy AIO that is like the super-diaper. It's huge, but it doesn't leak.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:44 PM   #24
Mom2Natalya
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootsiemomma View Post
Have any of ya'll seen Surviving Motherhood?? I watch that one sometimes too but have def noticed that they all seem to ff. They never talk about breastfeeding or cding or anything like that, you would think out of all the mommas that they show on there, that at least one would do it
I've seen a cople of moms bf on there. A few who even did it while on camera. Also, unrelated, but the show "Take Home Chef" on TLC, there was a family on there, and the mom had a baby who was probably around 6 months old- and they were on the way to the house, and stopped so the chef could go in and get something, and while stopped, she was bf'ing her dd in the car. I thought that was way cool.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:47 PM   #25
Mom2Natalya
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by A'smommy View Post

To my friends I've recommended using sposies for the first couple weeks at least, then switching over. It's hard to clean meconium off cloth dipes sometimes anyway. To the ones that go cloth all the way, however, I salute you!
I recently heard someone say that if you put olive oil on baby's bum before putting on a fresh dipe, that will make the meconium slice right off and not stick to bum or dipe. That being said, you can also get fleece liners and then if it stains your liners, it's no big deal.

Nighttime for us- the ONLY thing DD doesn't soak through is a VBSN with a nighttime Imse Vimse cover.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:57 PM   #26
beenwaitingalongtime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DH was watching 'What About Brian' the other night and I said "That baby is wearing plastic pants!" then I felt stupid because her friend changed the baby and it was a sposie.

And the NEXT time the friend went to change her, the mom said "And cut down on the sposies--it's bad for the environment."

Baby WAS wearing CDs! I was all excited!
Old 10-27-2006, 06:04 AM   #27
ashleynjacy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My in-laws always ask when I am going to wean my 9 month old baby?!?!?!?!?!?!? Some people are nuts if you ask me!
Old 10-27-2006, 06:16 AM   #28
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i had a friend who used to call me insane for CD and BF, recently she converted and said she always wanted to try CD but was afraid that she couldnt hack it. Like that she thought it was amazing or magic that I did it. Point being that maybe "insane" is a cover word for "awesome" for those who wish they had the guts to try it...
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 06:57 AM   #29
motherhubbard
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynjacy View Post
My in-laws always ask when I am going to wean my 9 month old baby?!?!?!?!?!?!? Some people are nuts if you ask me!
I had pressure from my in-laws with my first two children. I just started saying we were in the process. It was a process that took years, but it made them happy. With the last two they would ask if they were still nursing and I would/will just say yes. They're not shocked by me anymore.

I think that all of my in-laws had a hard time managing their children and often felt overwhelmed by motherhood. I think when they see me with my children they know it's different for me.