Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-01-2008, 09:47 AM   #1
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:
"On the go" meals w/ little mess????

Any ideas for me? At least once a week we have to eat dinner in the car and I need more ideas for homemade on the go meals. Chicken nuggets are easy but I don't like feeding them to my kids that often. Don't have anything against fast food, but I really do not want to do that once a week. My girls can eat any casserole dish out of a container with silverware, but my boys cannot without making a huge mess, so that idea is out. Sandwiches are getting boring, plus my 3 year old likes to tear his sandwich up. Also, it needs to be something that can be cut up because my 21 month old will not take a bite of something. I know, I have a lot of parameters! Any ideas???

Advertisement

Old 07-01-2008, 03:38 PM   #2
ericak95
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: "On the go" meals w/ little mess????

Tough -- my 1st thoughts are:

Presuming you're home then have to grab and go

quesadillas-- You could fill with just about anything and they're compact and would be ok, cool or cold depending on filling.

burritos -- even breakfast fixing with hash browns and egg.

Fried rice -- might be too messy for the younger ones.

Breakfast -- French toast (if you make it with a bit of vanilla it's sweet enough they probably wouldn't need syrup) and some fruit

Calzone -- Yet again stuff with what you want -- maybe a bit of sauce for the older kids to dip.

Pasta Salad -- hot or cold

Cooking the night before you could put all the above together and just pop into the micro before you need to run out the door.

My only other suggestion would be consider making lunch the "big" meal of the day then have light dinners on those nights and you probably could get away with lunchables (or make cheese, crackers, and lunch meat) and some fresh fruit and veggies that could be eaten with fingers.

HTH
Erica

Last edited by ericak95; 07-01-2008 at 03:39 PM.
ericak95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 06:46 PM   #3
tommymommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Home made pizza with the crust rolled thinner than normal? Can be cut into small pieces or strips for the little guy.
tommymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 06:54 PM   #4
LunaBirch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

for those situations I tend to do finger foods.. cheese cubes, small chunks of steamed veggies (broccoli, carrots, etc), dried fruit, etc.. oh and the just tomatoes stuff is great for those days..
Old 07-01-2008, 11:21 PM   #5
korinn1384
Registered Users

morning star farms has veggie dogs (hot dogs) I always mocrowave them & slice them for my lo's & they eat em up for a quick meal
korinn1384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:42 PM   #6
FreeLove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Precooked mini ravioli minus the sauce to reduce the mess. These are great cuz they can be eaten cold and no utensils are needed.
FreeLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:50 AM   #7
benjason
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SativaStarr View Post
for those situations I tend to do finger foods.. cheese cubes, small chunks of steamed veggies (broccoli, carrots, etc), dried fruit, etc.. oh and the just tomatoes stuff is great for those days..
I do this too for Benjamin - cubes of cheese, crackers, grapes, etc. Easy finger foods for him that doesn't really make a big mess.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:38 AM   #8
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can put ham and cheese in a pita pocket and pop it in the toaster (cut side up) it'll melt it shut and you can cut it into strips for the lil one. You can also put just about anything in the pita pocket as long as you have some cheese glue to shut it together so that you won't have much mess. mozzarella sticks/cheese sticks/can't remember their name are easy to either make yourself (baking it) or buy and pop in the micro/oven.
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote