Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-09-2008, 01:54 PM   #1
Liddle1
Registered Users
Formerly: tummy mommy

Car seat and stroller recommendations needed.

We're looking at either buying or registering for a car seat and stroller and I don't know which brands are good or bad, and what the best system to use? I've heard a lot of people hate travel systems and recommend getting a good infant car seat and a universal car seat frame (stroller thing) and then buying a good stroller when the child is 1. But i've heard some say that the universal frames are only good for short trips or when the child is asleep for some reason. Help?

Advertisement

Liddle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 04:45 PM   #2
edandsuz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Car seat and stroller recommendations needed.

We had the Graco safeseat and the snap-n-go stroller, as well as the graco stroller to match our seat (french roast). The snap-n-go was a definite plus - it is light, folds up MUCH smaller than the graco stroller, and was fantastic to have in the back of the car to use when we were out. I think if you've heard that those are only good for when baby's sleeping, the person must mean that the baby needs to be in the carseat to use that stroller.

We use our big, fancy graco stroller for walks we take originating from home. It's definitely a nice stroller, but I would NOT want to haul it around in the back of our car all the time!

I hope that helps!
Old 05-17-2008, 04:27 PM   #3
CanadianQueenie
Registered Users

My Mood:

I had the Graco Safe Seat as well and I still matching stroller Graco Quattro Tour II (double) and love it! It turns with one hand and easy to fold down.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:35 PM   #4
peachesmum
Registered Users

My Mood:

We had a snug ride infant carseat and then moved DD to a Britax Marathon (make sure it's properly tethered - it's a big seat). I haven't had a snap and go stroller - the only one we've used is a Bebecar Raider XT. hth! (though maybe it just adds to the confusion, lol)
peachesmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:33 PM   #5
prismchick
Registered Users

We had an Evenflo Travel System and it worked ok, but one thing I HATED was that the back of the stroller seat doesn't sit up to a full 90 degrees, always slightly reclined. Babies like to sit up straight when sitting and awake! No one tells you that! Evenflo has this problem with some of their other products as well... we once used an Evenflo highchair that did the same kind of thing, slightly reclined... A HIGH CHAIR! WHERE THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO EAT!!!

(deep breath)

Now that we have DD & DS, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Joovy Caboose sit and stand stroller. We got it at Toys R Us. My daughter loves to stand and ride and it's so compact (essential for our little condo with no storage/garage/shed/basement)! When folded down it takes up less space than my single Evenflo Aura stroller did!

Last edited by prismchick; 05-28-2008 at 10:45 PM.
prismchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:39 PM   #6
Katiebear
Registered Users

My Mood:

I don't have a brand specific recommendation, but whatever you do, get a car seat that has the tether that adjusts the straps by where the baby's legs are. If you have to adjust the shoulder straps at the back all the time, you won't snug baby up enough. We live in a climate that goes from cold to warm pretty rapidly, so we're forever putting on and taking off layers - this means that we're always adjusting the shoulder straps. It has saved my life, the tether between the baby's legs!
Katiebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:16 PM   #7
angel0123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a zooper boggie and love it! It has all the bells and whistles reg. strollers don't come with.

I would rec. graco they are made cheap and don't hold up well to wear and tear. my frinds stroller has the wheels falling off at 6mths and graco had terrible cus. service.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:26 AM   #8
katesmash
Registered Users
seller

I second (or 3rd or 4th... ) the Graco safeseat and the stroller that comes with it.. although if the stroller is in the trunk of my car, I have like NO room for anything else
Old 07-02-2008, 08:04 PM   #9
aliandmimismom
I'll think of something :)
seller

My Mood:

I work at a baby store (high end not a department store) and have 2 kids of my own, here are my recommendations

With ds I didn't have much knowledge of what was out there, I chose the Graco Quattro Tour like most everyone else in 2004 (lol ) I liked the car seat, hated the stroller, to big to get in and out of the car, once baby's done in the car seat they can only face forward in the stroller, and now the recommendation is that baby/toddler faces parent b/c it helps with language developement.

So...with dd we bought the Zooper Zydeco, had all the bells and whistles, rear faced, nice ride, decent price...and FAR too big to take anywhere. So I bought a Peg Perego Aria to go with our Peg Perego SIP car seat (we didn't use the Graco again because between ds and dd 2 other babies had used it (friends/family) so we didn't think it was safe to use a 4th time. Loved the Aria because it is so light weight and works just like a snap and go, so easy to take in and out of the car and through store with tight aisles. Folding/unfolding with one hand is super easy too. However, when dd outgrew the car seat that stroller only faces forward...so, we sold both the Zooper and Peg and just bought a Bugaboo Bee I love it because it rear faces but is small like the Aria, super sturdy feeling, turns on a dime and can be used from Birth until 37lbs. You can even buy a wheel board for it to attatch for a second child to hop on, and you can use the frame with car seat adapters for any car seat. However, dd is a year in a month, and if I was to start all over I would have just bought the Bugaboo Frog or Cameleon, or another stroller that can act as a snap and go, has a seat that can face both directions, and a bassinet option (another good one that is cheaper and folds in one piece is the Uppa Baby Vista). Why? Why spend that much on a stroller? I didn't get it either until I read a book (too late) about buying baby gear...if you think about it, the average person buys a bassinet ($100) a snap and go ($100) a larger walking stroller ($200-$500) and a few umbrella stollers ($20-$200) and the cost adds up to about the same as one stroller that you will be more happy with and not have all those other pieces on junk...not to mention, when you are done with it it won't depreciate much in value and you can sell it and get about half your money back, trust me, I lost tons by selling the two other stroller, and with the money I spent on those two stroller plus a bassinet, I could have easily bought one nice stoller that would have lasted.

As for the car seat, Graco makes a great car seat, but just get the regular snug ride, by the time your child grows out of that one you won't want to be lifting them in and out of the car anyway, then move on to a Britax, Marathon
or Roundabout, again, I threw out Eddie Bauers, and others because they wore out well before ds outgrew them. I then bought a Marathon and now ds is finished with it and dd is in it and it still looks brand new You won't be sorry with that car seat Don't be tricked into thinking that your child will be in the same seat from birth to booster, the car seat will not last that long!
Old 07-02-2008, 11:35 PM   #10
Liddle1
Registered Users
Formerly: tummy mommy

ooo rear facing is an excellent point!!! and that the graco strollers are bulky and heavy, HA I was right!

wow this stroller/car seat search is tougher than I thought. we still haven't decided on one
Liddle1 is offline   Reply With Quote