Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-03-2008, 07:43 AM   #1
awray
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
weaning? how do i know?

my 8 month old recently has had minimal interest in bfing...

i attempt to get him to nurse an hour or so b4 every 'meal' of solids. he'll latch for about a minute, stops then fusses and pushes away! when he eats solids, he acts like its his job, then get upset when he's done! he's given at least 6-8 oz of solids each feeding.
He "nurses" once in the morning, then mid morning, then mid afternoon. He also get one 8oz bottle before bed (i work nights) but i'm not sure how much he's getting from each nursing. He's eating solids 3 times a day.

I was advised that i should just follow his lead- that he'll tell me when he's done nursing (each time and for good) and done w/ each meal of solids.

so my question is, do i just fight through the fussiness while he's nursing or do i assume he's weaning himself early?

btw, we thought it was teething causing the fussiness. he has been fussy at the breast for over a month now- meanwhile 2 teeth have come in. but he's STILL fussing- and he's now not showing signs of teething pain or dicomfort otherwise...

any words of wisdom? i don't want to wean him yet!

thanks mamas!

Advertisement

Mama to my prize, Lazer 11/06/07, and my surPrize, Zory 06/06/09
wishing for the cancerfree day we can TTC again
awray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:50 AM   #2
tracyb928
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: weaning? how do i know?

Honestly it sounds more like a nursing strike than weaning. Babies younger than 2 rarely wean themselves, and weaning is typically very gradual, rather than suddenly. Here are some links:

On weaning: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/h...g_happens.html
about babies under 12 months: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/babyselfwean.html
about nursing strikes: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html
www.twomommasdesigns.com www.hyenacart.com/queencitymamas/
tracyb928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:31 AM   #3
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Its not weaning.

How many "meals" is he getting? He should only be getting one per day. The second meal shouldn't be introduced until 9-10 months with the 3rd coming at/after the 1st b-day.

If he is getting too many solids, then there isn't enough room for the milk. BM should be the main source of nutrition the first year. It has much more calories, fat, nutrients than solids.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:51 AM   #4
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

A few things I can think of.

First, it is normal for a baby to go through this around 9-10 months old. Your baby is about that age. They are easily distracted by the world around them, and they get frustrated when the milk doesn't come out NOW. They don't like waiting for let down. (Generally speaking...I actually did not have this problem with my babies.)

Second, your baby is eating a lot of solids! Breast milk or formula should be the main source of nutrition until 12 months old!

And third, I agree with the other ladies that it is more a nursing strike than weaning. I had a baby at 3 months old go through a nursing strike and I could only nurse him when he was asleep. Try to offer more time at the breast when he is sleepy or even asleep. Maybe take a bath with him (although he probably would love splashing in the water rather than nursing, I bet! Maybe that won't work....)
Old 07-03-2008, 12:49 PM   #5
cadensmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

hey amanda..sounds like these ladies gave you the exact advice i was giving you over the phone.
while i think you need to do what you think is best for you and little L...they are right that he doesn't NEED solids right now. Keep offering the breast and eventually he will start nursing again. Babies don't wean this early they just get easily distracted by the new world they are discovering...but as always, if your feeling like it is time to ween that is a personal decision that none of us can make for you

Evrim and Ellowyn -- Just Released!

iKnit, iSpin, iDye all at ... Comfort Wool Blog and
cadensmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 02:29 PM   #6
awray
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks to all of you mamas!
those links were def a help, thanks tracyB!

my ped recommended a feeding schedule. so i followed it. But i think i just went a little overboard. I was so excited to see him enjoy his veggies that I may have started to overdo it. Thats me, the overzealous one!

I promised myself I would BF for a year. i plan on keeping that promise to myself and my LO! if i made it through the few months before he started solids, then i can make it through this fussiness (Teresa, you know how close i was to throwing in the towel) !!! so whatever it takes...

I'll let you all know how it goes...

thanks again, ladies!

Mama to my prize, Lazer 11/06/07, and my surPrize, Zory 06/06/09
wishing for the cancerfree day we can TTC again
awray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 02:35 PM   #7
cadensmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

sounds like you have a plan! its easy to get excited about solids...i did the same thing when Caden started solids and he wanted nothing to do with them until over a year and i wasted a ton of frozen food.

good luck and you know i'm always here for support...

about pediatricians though...alot of them aren't terribly pro extended BFing which unfortunatly in the US is anything over 3 months. BFing is still not the norm in this country despite the studies that continue to show the benefits of exclusive BFing the first year and extended past that. They really are amazing! But doctors don't seem to be able to shake their outdated views of mothering, BFing....etc. I'm off to work (for you ) but will respond more later!

Evrim and Ellowyn -- Just Released!

iKnit, iSpin, iDye all at ... Comfort Wool Blog and
cadensmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 02:35 PM   #8
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by awray View Post
thanks to all of you mamas!
those links were def a help, thanks tracyB!

my ped recommended a feeding schedule. so i followed it. But i think i just went a little overboard. I was so excited to see him enjoy his veggies that I may have started to overdo it. Thats me, the overzealous one!

I promised myself I would BF for a year. i plan on keeping that promise to myself and my LO! if i made it through the few months before he started solids, then i can make it through this fussiness (Teresa, you know how close i was to throwing in the towel) !!! so whatever it takes...

I'll let you all know how it goes...

thanks again, ladies!
Remember we are here for you if you have anymore questions. Keep up the good work, mama!

BTW, most peds aren't pro bf'ing and think babies should be on a full solids diet by age one, which isn't the case. I usually take my peds advice with a grain of salt if it doesn't fall into the medical category. HOWEVER, thank goodness Anna's ped IS pro bf'ing and not only see's not much of an importance in solids yet, but encourages nursing until atleast 18 months if not longer.