View Poll Results: Read Below
YES ~Dus someones Orientation play a role in you becoming their friend. 25 8.56%
NO ~Dus someones Orientation play a role in you becoming their friend. 213 72.95%
MAYBE ~Dus someones Orientation play a role in you becoming their friend. 35 11.99%
YES~ would you let your children play with theirs 204 69.86%
NO ~ would you let your children play with theirs 30 10.27%
MAYBE ~ would you let your children play with theirs 33 11.30%
You are Straight 240 82.19%
You are Lesbian/Gay 3 1.03%
You are Bi 26 8.90%
You are Transgender 1 0.34%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 292. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-05-2008, 01:16 AM   #21
CrunchyMama0607
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Orientation + friendship = What role in your life?

Whether it be sexual or racial, my answer would be no it wouldn't bother me Any other time I'd be worried about my child wondering why the other child's parents are the same gender but (IMO) children just don't pay that much thought to things like that, if it even crosses their minds. We were at IHOP the other day and the cutest 2yo little girl (she might have been Indian or Hindu) started playing w/DD and they had a blast even though they couldn't understand one another. If she had of had 2 mommies or 2 daddies, DD wouldn't have noticed LOL

Advertisement

Last edited by CrunchyMama0607; 07-05-2008 at 01:19 AM.
CrunchyMama0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 02:43 AM   #22
Jakesmama2002
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabelle View Post
Doesn't bother me a bit. DH and I are more inclined to keep our child(ren) away from people who dislike an entire classification of people based on a prejudice.
Yep, that! Orientation means naught to me. A person is a person no matter how straight/gay. (Just to quote some Dr. Seuss...not sure that fits with the theme of the thread...s/s!)
Jakesmama2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 06:39 AM   #23
bethryan2659
Registered Users

I don't give a toot about sexual orientation. I care about someone's values.

I hate when people call homosexuality a lifestyle. It is not anymore of a lifestyle than heterosexuality. And I also don't understand what people mean by "as long as they don't flaunt their lifestyles." What does that mean? Does it mean that you don't want to hear about a person's partner? Does it mean that you don't want to see affection between partners? Or does it mean that you don't want to hear about or see promiscuity?
bethryan2659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 07:10 AM   #24
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

my dh's best friend is gay, and he and his husband have a dd, who my boys love to pieces.

we are also friends with several lesbian couples with kids, and my boys also love playing with their children.

i really don't see how or why this would be a problem? children are children.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:11 AM   #25
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethryan2659 View Post
I don't give a toot about sexual orientation. I care about someone's values.

I hate when people call homosexuality a lifestyle. It is not anymore of a lifestyle than heterosexuality. And I also don't understand what people mean by "as long as they don't flaunt their lifestyles." What does that mean? Does it mean that you don't want to hear about a person's partner? Does it mean that you don't want to see affection between partners? Or does it mean that you don't want to hear about or see promiscuity?
i know, right? what is that?
Old 07-05-2008, 07:14 AM   #26
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

What someone does behind closed doors means diddly to me. The only time I'd be concerned is if there was a lot of suggestiveness or promiscuity that I thought was inappropriate around my children, but I'd have the same issue regardless of if the person in question were gay or straight.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 07:20 AM   #27
LilOutlaws
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No way, doesn't matter.. I have way too many gay friends, family, etc.. and besides, I did help make twin babies for a gay couple I'm really close friends with. And when they're big enough to play and want to come to the US to visit, you can bet your bottom my kiddos will be playing with them!!
LilOutlaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 07:37 AM   #28
elabela
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

As long as they're in a healthy and happy relationship, I'm there. As long as their home is a safe and happy one, I'm there. doesn't matter what gender the owners of that home/the parents/my friends are.

I don't really understand the "I hope they don't flaunt it" comments, but maybe I am just unsure of what they mean? I know people who say that, and really mean, they wouldn't want to see someone holding hands with their SS partner, or kiss in front of them. <-- that makes me angry, so so so angry I can't even finish what I was going to say.

If they mean, they don't want someone 'flaunting it' by fondling each other at the dinner table, they have really skewed perceptions of the gay community for the most part and it makes me sad that they think that saying that is even a necessary part of the conversation.

If I was considering letting my child hang out at the home of a straight couple, would I think to myself "ooh I hope they don't flaunt their straightness at the dinner table"

Why is there some sort of underlying belief that the LGBTQ community is somehow 'looser' and that they will automatically start touching themselves/each other whenever they can? To me it's like people are saying the same really offensive racist things they say to people like "well you don't ACT Mexican"(didn't we talk about this earlier in the week?) "as long as they dont "act" gay, it's ok"

Didn't lavel myself as straight/gay/bi/trans, because well who knows. At the moment, I am married to a man however because I fell in love with him.

I need to stop rambling! haha
Old 07-05-2008, 07:54 AM   #29
FancifulFanny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't care one iota who people love...I am just glad in this crazy world they have found someone to love and share their lives and feelings with. I want to be surrounded by people who are true to themselves and surround my children with this, too...straight, gay, purple...makes no difference to me.
FancifulFanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 08:40 AM   #30
mommaof2boyz
Registered Users
seller

Well I do care and wouldn't be friends with a homosexual or a bisexual, etc... I don't consider myself racist or sexist either because I like all colors of people which is the exact opposite of racist and I'm not sexist because I think men and women are equal. I wish people would use terminology correctly when dealing with this subject. I am die hard conservative protestant and homosexuality is against my religion. I don't hate them but I will not condone it and will not allow my children around them- so that answers the other question. No my kids would not be allowed to play with theirs. I don't want that kind of lifestyle flaunted around my kids. I don't want them to think it's "ok" to be that way. I am not rude to homosexuals but my beliefs are my beliefs and I'm going to try my hardest to raise my kids with some moral fiber. My husband has a lesbian grandma and I am not rude to her or her partner but she knows how I feel about it- they both do. I told them how I felt and we have a mutual respect, which is basically that one is grandma and the other is a "friend." Also that if there lifestyle starts sparking odd questions amongst the boys then my hubby and I will probably discontinue visiting, etc... We don't really see her often anyways so it probably won't be an issue. So there it is and I'm sure I'll be bashed eventhough I haven't bashed anyone elses opinions on the matter.
mommaof2boyz is offline   Reply With Quote