Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-29-2008, 08:07 PM   #11
twinkletoesmomma
Registered Users

Re: Sore nipples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
I researched all morning and I think it is yeast. I have all the classic symtoms. I called the pharmacy and they are ordering me some gentian violet to use. I know it's messy, but it seems to have helped alot of people. I also going to get some grape seed extract and acidophilus and take that as well. Hopefully that will do the trick!
I think it is actually grapeFRUIT seed extract, not grape seed extract--two different things.

Hope you feel better soon. Thrush is horrible.

Advertisement

twinkletoesmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:34 AM   #12
Jordan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletoesmomma View Post
I think it is actually grapeFRUIT seed extract, not grape seed extract--two different things.

Hope you feel better soon. Thrush is horrible.
Thanks mama! That's what I meant!
Old 06-30-2008, 09:15 AM   #13
ahnah74
Registered Users

well from what you 1st described, it doesn't sound like thrush, but do what you feel is best. 1st check for white spots before you go all out. if there aren't any then treat it like sore/cracked nipples. i just went thru this 3 mo. ago when kaiya was born.
i agree with the lanolin and the shower. i use the lanolin anytime they hurt or cracked, esp. when i start breastfeeding after birth, but i also put nipple shields on. yes the shields show under clothing, but they keep the lanolin from getting on your clothes and allow air to circulate around your nipple giving it the chance to heal. i didn't go out of the house for awhile and wore the shields even to bed under bra. when mom 1st gave me these with my 1st i thought it was crack(kept them anyway), but come my 6th and 7th, i really needed these and finally realized what a help they were.

if you want the shields now instead of waiting on the mail, go to the nearest Toysrus/babiesRus. heck wal-mart might carry some, i know they carry the lanolin. hope this helps. lanolin runs $9-10 and the shields run about $14.
ahnah74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:14 AM   #14
Jordan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahnah74 View Post
well from what you 1st described, it doesn't sound like thrush, but do what you feel is best. 1st check for white spots before you go all out. if there aren't any then treat it like sore/cracked nipples. i just went thru this 3 mo. ago when kaiya was born.
i agree with the lanolin and the shower. i use the lanolin anytime they hurt or cracked, esp. when i start breastfeeding after birth, but i also put nipple shields on. yes the shields show under clothing, but they keep the lanolin from getting on your clothes and allow air to circulate around your nipple giving it the chance to heal. i didn't go out of the house for awhile and wore the shields even to bed under bra. when mom 1st gave me these with my 1st i thought it was crack(kept them anyway), but come my 6th and 7th, i really needed these and finally realized what a help they were.

if you want the shields now instead of waiting on the mail, go to the nearest Toysrus/babiesRus. heck wal-mart might carry some, i know they carry the lanolin. hope this helps. lanolin runs $9-10 and the shields run about $14.
Thanks for the help mama! I didn't think it was the thrush either since there were no spots in DS's mouth, but I read you can still have it without the baby having the spots here.

I'm getting ready to go out and get the gentian violet, so I think I might pick up some lanolin too in case I'm wrong. I'm going to the pharmacy so idk if they will have the shields. but I'll look for them. Thanks for the help!
Old 07-04-2008, 09:03 AM   #15
Jordan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well apparently it was just sore cracked nipples because now I have mastitis. I started feeling like I had the flu wednesday afternoon and by the nightime I had a fever and my breasts were red and hot. I knew what it was right away (I had it when DS was a couple days old) so I called my obgyn yesterday morning and they got me some antibiotics called in. I'm feeling better now, just still a little weak.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:49 AM   #16
I_am_Blessed
Registered Users
Formerly: Beth's_Mommy
seller
seller

Re: Sore nipples Updated in post 15, Now I have mastitis.

Hope you feel better soon, mama.

Mama to 3, soon-to-be-4

I_am_Blessed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 01:50 PM   #17
max's mommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Nurse through the mastitis (which will be hard as you are already having nipple pain). Just treat it like a normal sickness -- drink lots of fluids, rest, etc.

I had mastitis with both my babies. The first time I took an antibiotic prescribed by my doc, and it wreaked havoc on my ds....made him have horrible explosive poos.
With my ds#2, I did take echinacea ROOT tincture as advised by my doula.

I know you have nipple pain, too. I'm not sure what that is from. When I started nursing both my babies, my nipple pain was so bad I could have punched a hole through the wall, and wanted to swear like a sailor. with ds#2, part of my right nipple actually became detached (i had an open wound), the pain was unbearable.

Is it possible the previous nipple pain & now mastitis are linked?
I wish you healing asap..

Mom to Maxwell (6/04) and Hugo (12/07) . Happily married to the most amazing husband EVER, Mark
max's mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 02:08 PM   #18
*KaiMom*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When taking the antibiotics I would also eat a lot of yogurt. Antibiotics can cause yeast to grow...which is thrush. Hope you feel better soon.