Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 07-05-2008, 04:10 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Tandem Nursing question

hey all, I am pregnant with baby #4 and I am still nursing my 13 month old dd. I don't see her weaning any time soon and I won't force her to do so. So my question is, how do I do this with 2 children in two different size and ages? I would appreciate pics or resources for this subject. I am really confused as to how I should hold, sit or lie down with them both.

threelilpinkmonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 04:49 PM   #2
Custom Advocacy Tee Creator
Re: Tandem Nursing question

Get the LLL Book "Adventures in Tandem Nursing." Its a fantastic resource for anyone who is pregnant and nursing. Its great because it explores all the issues of tandem nursing and nursing while pregnant. Its also quite non-judgemental about both mother and child-led weaning and the particulars regarding both.

I planned to tandem nurse, but my older son self-weaned about 5 weeks before my younger son was born.

Congratulations and good luck!
Carolyn, WAHMommy to A 3.1.06 and J 3.27.08
Say Sumthing: Advocacy T's for babies, children and their parents
Last batch of custom slots goes on sale April 10, 2009 at noon.
saysumthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 05:11 PM   #3
Registered Users

I've tandem nursed twice now. I mostly nursed them at different times. If I did nurse them together, I was either laying down in bed with one on each side or if I was sitting on the couch, the older one sat next to me and nursed while the baby was in the traditional nursing hold. It really wasn't too hard.

I will say, that one thing I didn't know and did bother me, my older nursling, both times, had an obviously different suck than the baby since they were older, bigger mouth, perhaps a lazier nurser. Sometimes it would hurt, or just irritate me a bit. I only mention this so if it happens you aren't surprised. I tandem nursed the first time for 7 months and 17 months the second time.
Jamie - Wife to Matthew
Mommy to Ashleigh, Collin, Justin, Lucas and Nathan
For Sale: Boys Gymboree 0-9 months
acjlnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 05:59 PM   #4
Registered Users

My oldest was 18 mos when my second DS was born. I would just sit down on the couch and get comfy w/ the baby, then DS would climb on and get in whatever position he wanted.
Another neat nursing position we liked; I'd lay in bed on my side w/ oldest DS next to me using the 'bottom' side. I'd put tiny DS on top of him to nurse the 'top' side. They both loved it. Sorry I don't have any pics on my laptop.
Good luck!
my2boysteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 06:21 PM   #5
Formerly: Boomer
My Mood:

When they were younger, I mostly nursed them separately. I nurse them together now, but it's only at bedtime so I do it both at the same time lying in bed (I have really large breasts so I can actually lay flat on my back and they both can have access.)

I've nursed them together in cradle holds before. I would cradle the older boy and latch him on, then lay the baby in the other arm, also in a cradle position on top of the older boy. Or I'd put the older boy in a cradle hold and the baby in the football hold.
A real woman always has a clean house, an empty laundry basket, smells good, is well made-up, slim, healthy, eloquent, and perfectly well behaved...I suspect I am a man.
Psychomom is offline   Reply With Quote