Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-07-2008, 08:47 AM   #21
juclark77
Registered Users

Re: so how much does it cost really??

I am on my second totally free foster/adoption. I got my daughter at 4 months and later my son at 23 months. Both healthy AA kids. State paid for lawyer, homestudy, everything. They would pay for our gas to go to court if I actually bothered to keep track. We got $450 a month each for the 6 months until the adoption was final. $225 or so after adoption until they are 18. Medicaid till 18 too. Since they get Medicaid, we also get WIC even though we make too much money.

Advertisement

juclark77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:50 AM   #22
juclark77
Registered Users

To clarify: both were foster to adopt not regular foster situations where we happened to adopt.
juclark77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 04:27 AM   #23
CalebsMome
Registered Users

My Mood:

Not to hijack, but to hijack and ask a question along these lines, where did you get $20, $30 + thousand dollard while waiting for the tax credit from the government? How does that work? We thought of adopting through Bethany, and their adoptions are subsidized, but only for Christian families (no flames, not my rule). I don't think we could foster adopt as we work in a group home two weeks out of the month. I'd do it in a heartbeat, but I don't think the state would go for it.
CalebsMome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:21 PM   #24
happyhomemom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We also fostered to adopt our son for free. He was a healthy 3 day old when he came home from the hospital and finalized at 10 months old. He does not get a subsidy but his adoption was free.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:54 PM   #25
Kori
Registered Users

My Mood:

Here are some international fees from 1 specific agency. In my research their fees are a little low compared to a smaller agency that gives you more personal service.

http://www.holtinternational.org/adoption/fees.shtml

As for where to get the $20-$30K you can save, cash out investments (we're doing those 2 things) borrow from family, apply for loans, etc.

New and like new clothes as low as $2.27 shipped at http://thredup.com/ for first time customers when using the code FIRST35 for 35% off + free shipping
my adoption blog - http://ourfuturedaughter.blogspot.com/
Kori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 05:58 PM   #26
redsonja
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebsMome View Post
Not to hijack, but to hijack and ask a question along these lines, where did you get $20, $30 + thousand dollard while waiting for the tax credit from the government? How does that work? We thought of adopting through Bethany, and their adoptions are subsidized, but only for Christian families (no flames, not my rule). I don't think we could foster adopt as we work in a group home two weeks out of the month. I'd do it in a heartbeat, but I don't think the state would go for it.

Save save save, cut back on unnecessary expenditures, take out a loan, cash out savings accounts, apply for grants, ask for help from family/friends. You'd be amazed at where you can find money when it's really truely important. Keep in mind that these expenses are spread out over a couple years time frame.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:30 PM   #27
addiesmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We're adopting from Ethiopia and after travel we will be out closer to 28K. We've paid 12K so far and still owe 8K to our agency and still have to travel which could be 8K.