View Poll Results: do you take your LO's to well-visits?
Yes, whenever the doc says to 48 44.44%
Yes, only when they need vax's 3 2.78%
No, just to avoid it all 30 27.78%
No, we get vax's without appointments 0 0%
Yes, but never/sometims for vax's 16 14.81%
Other, please explain 9 8.33%
we fully vax 15 13.89%
we delay vax 21 19.44%
we selective vax 20 18.52%
OTHER:VAX 22 20.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-12-2008, 09:51 AM   #41
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Who doesn't take thier LO's to well visits??

Also..

I have a daycare family who's kids have never been to a single doctor in their lives.

They have only been sick a few times, and each time it was when mom or dad got it first. After a few days, they were just fine.

Advertisement

Old 07-12-2008, 09:55 AM   #42
justjess
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i took my first two to every appt. but my second did so horrible with shots we decided to delay shots with our third. he hasnt been to the doc for a well baby since he was 2 weeks. not trying to avoid the vaxing issue just absolutely cant stand military doctors (at least the ones i've encountered). my baby is healthy and happy and havent had any troubles !!!!
Jessica wife to my sexy soldier SAHM to THE BOSS(9) THE SCIENTIST(8) THE CLOWN(5) THE CRAZY(3) and MISSY MOO(1) and #6 arriving summer 2013!!!
find me on FBmy ISO/IHA
justjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:05 AM   #43
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes we go on schedule, but we do not vax, so I chose other:vax.
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:59 AM   #44
jenn5388
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Miranda hasn't ever gotten even one vaccination. Ever. I took miranda to her 2 month (disaster!! ended up having to turn the dr into the medical board for his actions) then we switched doctors and miranda was seen at 8 months for a rash on the face (because of DH's pushing) and all the doctor did was talk about her vaccinations she hasn't had..(the rash was nothing) so the next time she was seen was by another doctor at 2 years old.. where they were fine with not vaxing, and she had playdoh in her ear, so i'm kinda glad we went to that one. lol

and she hasn't been back. she'll be 4 come september.

The next one will probably be seen the same amount of times. lol

::::In my opinion only:::: the appts are pointless to go to every 2 months unless you are vaccinating. I think once maybe twice that first year is plenty.
You bring in your HEALTHY child to be seen by a doctor just so the wait in the waiting room/doctor's office they can get sick because of the germs floating around in the air. No thanks. I'll pass.

In that first year everytime we did take miranda in she ended up with a runny nose.
jenn5388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:13 AM   #45
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Haydn goes to his well checks but we delay/selective vax.
Well checks are important strictly for developing a relationship, IMO. I want to get to know all my patients and their families and have them get to know me. The doc/NP-patient relationship is one based on trust and when I can get to know the family during well/healthy times I can be more effective during sick times. I don't know how many times I've heard a mommy tell a child "Ms Jaime makes it better, remember? She won't hurt you. Jaime loves you." That's important to a sick, scared child. My babies in my practice know that I love them and it's my job to make things better when they feel bad. They trust me and that goes a long way toward being able to do a thorough exam.
SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 01:15 PM   #46
Elena"s Mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydn'smommy View Post
Haydn goes to his well checks but we delay/selective vax.
Well checks are important strictly for developing a relationship, IMO. I want to get to know all my patients and their families and have them get to know me. The doc/NP-patient relationship is one based on trust and when I can get to know the family during well/healthy times I can be more effective during sick times. I don't know how many times I've heard a mommy tell a child "Ms Jaime makes it better, remember? She won't hurt you. Jaime loves you." That's important to a sick, scared child. My babies in my practice know that I love them and it's my job to make things better when they feel bad. They trust me and that goes a long way toward being able to do a thorough exam.
Yup, that's why we go mainly. I KNOW my doctor and I really like him. I'd hate to have to see a complete stranger of there was anything actually wrong with DD. I trust that if I ever need him for anything "real" that he knows me and my DD well enough to take the correct course of action
My DD must have a great immune system because she never gets sick from being at the doctor's office like everyone else claims their kids do
Elena"s Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 01:23 PM   #47
mom2LBJ
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yes, whenever the doc says to & we delay vax

I love our pedi. Shes super pro breastfeeding and loves that we cloth diaper. "Disposable diapers should be made illegal, everyone should use cloth"... right outta her mouth

She also always comments on how small our files are because our kids are hardly sick
mom2LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 01:25 PM   #48
snelson924
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i always take my DD to the dr - even for well visits - but i think that's because she is a preemie and i want to make sure that she is growing and developing as she should be. i also vax on schedule. i don't understand the non-vaxing or selective/delay vaxing debate. not that i fault mama's who don't vax, i just don't understand why you wouldn't. that's just me. (and id ont' mean to start a debate on it....)

snelson924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 01:32 PM   #49
fsufan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We take our LO's to all of their well visits and Vac . Anyone read the latest issue of Cookie Mag ? There's a article about Vac in it with Amanda Peet.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:22 AM   #50
ShyDaisi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't vax my son, and I stopped taking him to WBVs at 6 months. I went throught 3 pediatricians over 4 WBVs, and it was, to put it simply, disasterous.

The first ped told me my child would die if I didn't vax, the second ped didn't bother to show up in the room (twice!!) and his nurse gave me a prescription for a laxative because my EBF child (at 4 months old) hadn't pooped in 24 hours, and the third tried to forcibly retract my son's foreskin and his nurse let him fall off the table on to his head/neck/shoulder. I stopped trying to find another...I purchased a baby/toddler scale to maintain growth charts, as that was the main purpose for our visits.

When Micah was 12.5 mos old, he got a bad stomach bug that he wasn't shaking, so I took him to an urgent care ped to make sure that it wasn't something other than the flu. The nurse said the latest bug (at the time) was lasting up to 10 days, however, the ped told me that he was just throwing up because he didn't want to eat and that I was starving him. He stopped vomiting on day 9 (no dehydration the entire time)....

I haven't completely sworn off finding a doc, but I am delaying it for now. I weigh my little runt (most affectionately said ) monthly (more when I was monitoring his weight around the stomach bug to make sure that he isn't losing weight) and watch his development, etc. closely. We also see a chiropractor weekly/bi-weekly to maintain health.

__________________________________________________ _____________
snelson924 -- Not debating, just letting you know why I do not vaccinate

I don't vax because after researching, I decided:
- that I did not like the ingredients used in the vax and do not want them injected into my son's body
- that I want my son to build his immune system naturally
- that I do not want to take the chance that he may develop autism or other neurological/functional disorder or suffer from other possible side effect from the administration of the vaccine
- that if the government has the need to create a vaccine injury fund that I don't want to take the chance on needing to be paid from it
ShyDaisi is offline   Reply With Quote