Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-12-2008, 07:17 PM   #1
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

Unhappy Newborn with a fever

My little guy turned 8 weeks old yesterday and since yesterday morning has been really cranky-not sleeping well, fussy and not his normal calm self. I've been tracking his temp since then since we had to bring his sister into the hospital when she was 5 weeks old due to a fever and it was the worst experience ever (3 days with multiple tests, including a spinal tap ). We had my dd's b-day party tonight and he was really cranky the whole time and we just got home so I took his temp and its 100.00 rectal. Before its always been in the 99 range. He was really upset when I took it so his crying might have brought his temp up but now I'm worried we'll end up going into the ER tonight He's finally crashed and sleeping in his swing but I'll take his temp in another hour and see what its at-anyone else deal with fevers in a nb? I went online and everything says 100.4 is when you call. This sucks!! Sara

Advertisement

myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 07:34 PM   #2
iammommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Newborn with a fever

With a baby that young, you really do need to call the dr. The concern is meningitis, and that's why they run all the tests. Meningitis is very serious in little babes, as I am sure you know.
I think you should call, just to be on the safe side. JMO
Good luck, I am sure he will be just fine.

IDDSO: my sanity!
iammommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 08:19 PM   #3
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'd call too, just for piece of mind. I'd put him in just a diaper and a t-shirt, and see if he cools over the next hour, and if not, I'd call. DD is just getting over roseola, which starts out as a high fever, and was NOT any fun. Fevers suck.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 08:37 PM   #4
happymama1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i know sometimes fever can be an indication of UTI...which is possible in newborns, especially if there is a minor, underlying condition related to the kidneys which is hard to know unless your baby starts getting UTI's. If it IS a UTI...and it is undetected/untreated (easy to treat), it can lead to serious kidney damage. I would definitely take the baby to be checked out!
happymama1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 05:58 AM   #5
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

Well I checked it a bit later and it had dropped to below 100-I think him being so upset made his temp go up. I checked it through the night and its holding steady at 99.0-and he slept great last night for the first time in a couple days so that should help him. My dd was sick last week with similar symptoms-super cranky, 102 fever for several days but she's old enough that we kept her on tylenol and it went away on its own so I'm wondering if she gave it to him I will definately monitor his temp and if it goes up again, I'll call it in. sara
Old 07-13-2008, 06:03 AM   #6
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Being upset would not make his core temp go up. If you are checking it rectally, that's a true temp. Axillary would be higher because of crying but rectal wouldn't change. If your little baby has a fever, you need to at least call the ped./doc. I know you don't want to have to go through all those tests again, but I'm sure you'd rather your baby be safe and well.
SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 07:35 AM   #7
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydn'smommy View Post
Being upset would not make his core temp go up. If you are checking it rectally, that's a true temp. Axillary would be higher because of crying but rectal wouldn't change. If your little baby has a fever, you need to at least call the ped./doc. I know you don't want to have to go through all those tests again, but I'm sure you'd rather your baby be safe and well.
Thanks for the info on temperatures- I'm using a rectal thermometer. Well this morning his temp is back to normal and he's MUCH happier than he's been the past couple days-he's back to his normal happy self so I'm hoping it was just a little bug and its already done with but I will definately keep a close eye on him (and his temp). sara