Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-12-2008, 05:17 PM   #1
3boysmom
Registered Users

Ackk.. I think my LO has croup!

Title says it all.. I think my youngest (17mth old) has croup!

He's been not himself for the past couple days, low grade fever, snotty/runny nose etc etc.. and now he's got this HORRID cough, and he had to choke down his dinner because of it.

It's a dry, non productive, barky sounding cough.. does this sound like croup to anyone else?

What can I do to make him more comfortable??

And when will the bad stuff stop happening to my family?!?!?!?

Advertisement

Old 07-12-2008, 06:31 PM   #2
katengrace
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ackk.. I think my LO has croup!

Sounds like croup. Both of my girls had it around x-mas time. All you can really do is make them comfortable. Tylenol for the fever. Run a humidifier at night as close to his bed as possible. When he has a bad coughing fit the best thing to do is to run a shower as hot as possible, and close the bathroom door to make it steamy. Then stand in front of the open freezer. It will help break up the cough. He will probably be worse at night. I know it is hard seeing you LO be so sick, so good luck! I hope he feels better soon.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:05 PM   #3
vintagegyrl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS gets this a lot in the cooler seasons - I think for him it is from allergies...
he would walk into our room in the middle of the night - with that awful sounding cough - it was really scary to wake up to!
I put him in the bathroom with the hot water running to make steam like pp said - just be sure not to leave them in there alone - i worry about water burns, I guess! He gets really scared bc he can't breathe from it. So i read him a book or something to keep him in there.
If it is a cool night outside, letting them go outside at night is good before bed, too.
humidifier @ night, too like pp said. All u can do is ride it out!
Old 07-12-2008, 08:09 PM   #4
3boysmom
Registered Users

I've been told its highly contagious..but manifests itself differently in adults

My DH has cancer, and is undergoing Chemo.. I can't have this in my house!! UGH!!!
Old 07-12-2008, 08:18 PM   #5
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My doctor told me that croup in defined my the couch. If he sounds like a barking seal then it is more than likely croup. You need to take him to a doctor asap. It can turn into scarlet fever if not treated.
missydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 08:25 PM   #6
3boysmom
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyhoard View Post
My doctor told me that croup in defined my the couch. If he sounds like a barking seal then it is more than likely croup. You need to take him to a doctor asap. It can turn into scarlet fever if not treated.
Its viral.. they can't treat it, unless you can't breath!
Old 07-13-2008, 12:06 AM   #7
Momma_Rock
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It can't turn into scarlet fever, that's strep throat. That happened to my son in February.

Croup cannot be treated. No anti-biotics or medicine. It's just a wait-it-out cold. It sucks. The doctor will tell you that if you take in your lo.

In the night, if your lo can't breathe, take him outside. The cool air will help him breathe better. OR- run a hot hot hot shower and close the bathroom door. Then take your lo in the bathroom (with the shower running and the door shut) and the steam will help open up his passages.

In my experience a vaporizer does not help. It just seems to make it worse. Maybe that's just me, though.

OH- I read (and tested) this. Rub vapo-rub on your lo's feet (really slather it on), then cover them with socks, and within minutes, it helps them to cough less. I don't know why it works, but it does. It really helps when my baby gets croup.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:16 AM   #8
Indianamom*2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Both my kids had it around Christmas time as well. The only Treatment that a Doc can give are steroids to help with the inflammation of the airways.

Its viral and can be passed by a sneeze or uncovered cough. And can be caused by the flu. Croup is just the cough that has an underlying problem like the flu or severe allergies. If you treat the cause then you treat the cough.

We gave the kids Tylenol and Motrin for the fevers, and then Mucinex to help the cough become productive. The humidifier didnt do much good at all. It was better to put some Vicks on the chest of their clothing (i never put it on skin because it can burn) both of them had it for 2 weeks and they were so miserable.

My Ped said that in adults the Croup in worst case can become Whooping Cough but mostly it just shows as a severe cold and cough.

http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/lung/croup.html