Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-11-2008, 11:21 PM   #1
tinyblackdot
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Question Ok what would you do?

I am a wohm/sahm/wahm and student. I work as a bartender 2 nights a week, sometimes less sometimes more, just depending on our finances and how tired i am, or how lazy the other bartenders are. So i am a sahm during the day since if i work i don't go in untill 8pm (when dd goes to sleep) and i get home around 4am (obviously before dd get up). I also am trying to start a tshirt company....(see siggy). I just finished a continuing education course at a college to get my foot in the door into the medical industry to then get my foot in the door to get into nursing school. My externship starts in 2 weeks, and its for 80 hours.

Now after i am finished with my externship, i need to go find a "real" job. The thing is, is that i will have to work 40ish hours a week to make the same amount of $$$ that i am making at the bar working 2 nights a week, and being able to sah with dd during the day. If i do go and get a hospital job, i most likely will also be working at the bar 1 night a week to help us get caught up on some bills.......or i could just stay at the bar and work as many shifts as possible.

The problem is that i would like to start ttc in january, but i obviously don't want to be in a bar and be pregnant (again) and i would like to have a steady job where i can work the whole time i am pregnant, not to mention the insurance perks of a hospital job.

So what would you do?

Work 2 jobs...and sacrifice time with your child now so that you can have more time with them later, work the hospital job, and cut down on spending and budget better, but still not be at home, or stay at the bar, and not have insurance, and have to find a job when i am pregnant?

Advertisement

Old 07-11-2008, 11:35 PM   #2
midominga
Registered Users
seller

Re: Ok what would you do?

Why not do the internship I think its a great future and work at bar to get caught up like you said. After internship(how long is it anyways) Get a night job at a hospital or any place that needs you. So you can still be a SAHM. And if you still need to get caught up on bills maybe get a part-time gig at a drs office or something. Not sure how old you baby is but possible have her/him be watched by family or put her in a early learners part time preschool while you do your part-time job. Unless you are against that.
Sorry you asked what I would do...
Do my internship, work at bar as much as possible to save and pay bills. After internship get night job at hospital (instead of working at bar) and a part-time job (only if I needed the money) at a drs office (2 or 3days a week) and be with my kids the other days as a SAHM

Last edited by midominga; 07-11-2008 at 11:47 PM. Reason: what I would do.
midominga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 11:40 PM   #3
labrae
Registered Users

My Mood:

You can always make money, but you can never get back time with your kids. I would wait to start the "real" job when dc started school. If there is a very part-time option in a hospital, I would do that in addition to the bar, for experience.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:41 PM   #4
ouchienurse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I work in a hospital as a nurse. I only work 3 nights a week, 12 hour shifts. Leave about the time my DD goes to bed and get home shortly after she wakes up. Lots of moms work "the weekend option" so dad can be with her during the day on the weekends and you get to stay home during the week. The other option is 11p-7a, but you have to sleep sometimes and 3 days a week is alot easier. Also, if you're starting nursing school you will want the hospital experience. Some of the people I went to school with didn't and they were lost half the time.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:28 AM   #5
Mommimi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I vote for work at the hospital and then bartend as needed to pay the bills. Hopefully your hospital job will include health and maternity benefits. It is difficult to get a new job once you are showing. Pregnancy is also a pre-exisiting condition, so if you are not on a healthcare plan b4 you get pregnant it is difficult to get on afterwards.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:29 AM   #6
your.cyn
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by labrae View Post
You can always make money, but you can never get back time with your kids. I would wait to start the "real" job when dc started school. If there is a very part-time option in a hospital, I would do that in addition to the bar, for experience.
I second this. I left a part time job for a full time on to make more money 3 months after DS was born, and I regret being away from him!
your.cyn is offline   Reply With Quote