Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 11-02-2006, 11:07 AM   #1
Registered Users
When you make baby food?

Do you leave the skins on your food?? I never did until recently...dd is 10 months old I still can't think about that sorry. Anyways, I thought that by leaving the skins on her food now it might add some extra good stuff?? I mean, there are obvious ones you have to peel, but like apples, and pears, and sweet it really necessary to keep peeling those??

EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 11:22 AM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: When you make baby food?

if she is eating the apple raw (grated), i would say yes, peel them, the skin can be a choking hazard. for cooked i would say you probably don't need to just be sure to clean really well using a veggie wash to help remove as much pesticide (if not using organic) and other yucky stuff. that said i just made a ton of sweet potato sticks for my boys and didnt' even think about not peeling them. next time i think i'll leave the skin on. i think you are right, there are loads of nutrients in the skin. thanks for reminding me!
~helen~ mama to 6 yo tornado twins, jonas and micah and my 3 yo wild child, eli
titania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 12:56 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

I would say that if it's in small enough pieces in the food then you should be alright...I know that apple peels can be a choking hazard, but you know if she is proned to that or not. The peels are very nutritious so I'd say go for can also just watch her really closely the first few times you do it...and that way if you notice her gagging and stuff you will know not to do it next time!
Chantily~wife to my soul mate and sahm to 3 lively boys! A-6 J-3 S-1, 1 min pin, Buster and 1 kitty, Bob

**we are now in Central Illinois and getting adjusted!**
tillers72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 01:36 PM   #4
Registered Users
Formerly: kerstynsmom
My Mood:

I always cooked things w/the skin on, and then took out the insides (does that make sense). As you said there is a ton of nutrients in the skin, and those will be absorbed into the inside of the fruit or veggie.
Kerstyn's world Mommy's facebook
blissfullyblessed is offline   Reply With Quote