Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-11-2008, 10:57 AM   #31
juclark77
Registered Users

Re: Nursing in a foster-adopt situation

My WIC nutritionist wrote me out a letter of support to give to my social worker. It included scientific references and said they thought I should be allowed to breastfeed my foster-adopt baby. I never gave it to my social worker because I was sure she would think I was crazy. WIC is very pro-breastfeeding and would be a great place to get help convincing a social worker to let you breastfeed.

Advertisement

juclark77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:34 PM   #32
baylandria
Registered Users

I have no idea about legalities...but I just wantd to say you are AWESOME for bringing up the topic. I had never thought about it before. I hope the law says you have the right to do whatever is best for any child in you custody...good luck!
baylandria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:48 PM   #33
mycdsqueaker
Registered Users
Formerly: juliasmom92905
seller

I am all in favor of BFing and even donating milk but have mixed feelings about nursing a foster to adopt baby. Here is my thinking...pretty much until the day you officially adopt that child absolutely nothing is promised and for some reason the adoption can fall through and the child placed with other relatives etc (just using this as an example) obviosuly the baby wouldn't have access to you anymore so how fair would it really be to that child....meaning first they are removed and put into a new environment and the food they are used to eating is no longer available to them....just seems a bit traumatic to me. I would be all for though nursing the baby once its finalized.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:15 PM   #34
heythereheather
Registered Users

I haven't, and now that my younger son has weaned, it would be pretty hard.

I really thought hard about it, though. And ultimately decided not to pursue it, but then later found out that it can be legal in CA. I wish now I had tried, but such is life.

I nursed both of my boys (now 6 2/3 and 4 1/2) until they weaned at age 4. It was hard for me to conceive of parenting a child if I wasn't nursing. But... it wasn't as hard to adjust as I thought it would be.

(we have had 3 newborns, taken home from the hospital, and our current little sweetie is almost one and she came to us at 1 month old)
heythereheather is offline   Reply With Quote