Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-09-2008, 05:29 PM   #1
alidb36
Registered Users
seller
seller

Going from formula to milk

My son is almost a year old. We don't have his 12 month appointment until a few days after his birthday. Even then I am in search of a new pedi as I don't really like the information I get from his current one. However, I was wondering what you all did for the transition from formula to milk.

Advertisement

Old 07-09-2008, 05:31 PM   #2
Deanner03
"Life's tough. Get a helmet."
seller

My Mood:
Re: Going from formula to milk

We did gradual mixing. She went from 1 part milk to 3 parts formula (2 oz to 6 oz) to half and half, to three parts milk, one part formula, then all milk! Good luck!

We stayed at each stage for about 4-5 days!
Old 07-11-2008, 12:52 PM   #3
ashlee_shae
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I fear the day we have to switch. My daughter has milk protein intolerance and we have been using Alimentum. It has worked wonders. I'm afraid she is going to have huge problems when she is too old for it.
ashlee_shae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:25 PM   #4
jewelz1171
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My daughter is now 13 months and we have decided to keep her on formula for a while longer, although we did switch to a toddler/older baby formula. She took a long time to eat much for solids and still doesn't take in that much so I'm more comfortable leaving her on the formula. Plus, I wonder why they encourage breastfeeding beyond a year, up to 2 or more...but formula fed babies are suppose to be on whole milk and done with bottles by 1 year??? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me so we haven't made the switch yet Oh, and she gets it in a bottle most of the time yet, too.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:56 AM   #5
LunaBirch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelz1171 View Post
My daughter is now 13 months and we have decided to keep her on formula for a while longer, although we did switch to a toddler/older baby formula. She took a long time to eat much for solids and still doesn't take in that much so I'm more comfortable leaving her on the formula. Plus, I wonder why they encourage breastfeeding beyond a year, up to 2 or more...but formula fed babies are suppose to be on whole milk and done with bottles by 1 year??? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me so we haven't made the switch yet Oh, and she gets it in a bottle most of the time yet, too.
DS was on formula till 2 yo, and DD is 19 mo and still on formula.. both still are on a bottle, but DS is almost done w/ it at 2.5 yo.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:03 AM   #6
Bellamoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

dd is still on formula and a bottle at 19 months...course she isnt really on food though
Old 07-21-2008, 11:57 AM   #7
Curllyq
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi! I just wanted to offer a little support. I BF exclusively, but in support groups people have talked about their babies' intolerences (milk has to be illiminated from mom's diet and everything). You have a few options. First, we are the only species that weans from our own milk (or formula in your case) to another animal's milk. If your daughter tollerates cheeses, yogurt, etc... you can skip cow's milk all together. You can also try soy, rice, almond, milks instead. Another choice is goat's milk. It is the closest in make up to human milk (closer than cow's) and some children who can't handle cow's milk can take goat's.

I hope that's helpful. Keep in mind, most babies outgrow the intollerence within a couple years!
Curllyq is offline   Reply With Quote