Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-02-2006, 04:04 PM   #1
Emma
Registered Users
seller

natural ways to help PPD?

I really would prefer to *not* have to take medication for depression. What are things I can do/take to help PPD? I've started to walk again, so hopefully that will help a little bit.

Advertisement

Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 04:21 PM   #2
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: natural ways to help PPD?

i think from what i've read is eating right like lots of fruits and fresh veggies

ETA" if you need the pills don't feel bad or embarrassed a bunch of us take them **bighugs**

Last edited by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox; 11-02-2006 at 04:22 PM.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 05:03 PM   #3
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

I'm sorry you're going through this mama. I had PPD with my first and I'd never EVER wish that on anyone

You can increase your fluid intake. Make sure you're eating healthy. Foods that give you a natural boost with help your mood more than artificial foods, like sugar and caffeine. Boost your Vit B foods, they will naturally give you a boost of energy. Get at least 20 min of fresh air and sunshine every day. Take time for yourself, away from the house. If you need to hire a sitter to do this, then find someone reliable.

Are you nursing? If you aren't, you can take some natural remedies. St. Johns Wort is helpful to some people, but you should consult your Doc if you plan to take it longer than a few months. Get more calcium and magnesium. Get more Vitamin C. Wrie in a journal daily and find a counselor to talk to regularly. I'm a HUGE believer in counseling. I think everyone should go.

It's best to get all of those things from food rather than just popping a vitamin each day. And with the winter months coming, it's very common for people to suffer from SAD (seasonal depression) because of the shorter daylight hours.

Hang in there mama! And if you feel like you need meds, don't be scared to ask. This isn't something you have control over, so don't be afraid to admit you're feeling sad
tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 05:06 PM   #4
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

Can you go to a holostic practitioner and get some dietary counseling? Lots of raw fruits and veggies and NO processed crap has me feeling so much better! I started last week and it is doing wonders for me! I got the go ahead from my holistic practitioner to do it while bfing, but my guy is 15 months old so it might make a diff that he is getting nutrients from other sources... GL!

M'kay had to do that .
Old 11-02-2006, 05:06 PM   #5
SJwith2girls
Registered Users
seller

Sleep was a big one that helped me. I know it is tough but if anyone can help with the night shift.......

Also exercise helps.

Sarah Jane - DD 03/01 ~ DD 08/04 ~ DD 05/07
SJwith2girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 05:13 PM   #6
Leigh Ann
Registered Users
seller

I had severe PPD after DS was born. It was so bad that my mother came to stay with us b/c I just couldn't take care of my kids. It was the scariest feeling of my life. My midwife told me the best thing I could do for myself was get out and do things like walking and excersing. After persuasion from my DH (who has a problem w/ depression also) and my mother, I did end up taking zoloft, and after only 3 weeks I didn't need it anymore. I guess I just needed it to get me over th hump. I strongly suggest trying it naturally, but if it doesn't help, GET HELP.
Leigh Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 08:24 PM   #7
Korbins Mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's totally alright to ask your doc for drugs if you think they will help. Admitting there is a problem is the biggest step towards getting help. I'm been on Zoloft since ds was 8 months old and he's now....2 years and 6 months and I'm 2 weeks without it. I had a HARD TIME putting him into daycare and returning to work full time. I had always planned on being a SAHM, but it just didn't work out for us to do that. Poop. I still have my days.

I'm trying to get more outside time during the day, and eating better. Exercise is a HUGE one. I've also taken on hobbies that I REALLY enjoy (sewing, scrapbooking, etc.)

I'm here if you want to talk. PM me Momma.

Hugs. It's not forever and it's not a measure of failure. Sometimes people need a little help. Nothing is wrong with that at all.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:05 PM   #8
Timetodance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I found I just needed a couple of months of theraphy. That and the fact DD started to sleep through the night one month into theraphy.

If your doctor or therapist thinks you need drugs you may need them, keep an open mind. Also exersize can be a great way to feel better. A half hour walk with DC in a carrier can help.

PPD sucks. I hope to never go through that again, but I am also never going to refuse help again either.

Timetodance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 03:59 PM   #9
Emma
Registered Users
seller

Thanks, ladies! I already eat healthy, though I've been upping my veggie intake. I want to see a counselor, but I want to talk to my doctor about it first. Then I have to deal with Tri-Care to see how that all works. Ivy's ped gave me the names of two counselors she recommends. I would much rather talk to someone than take drugs. If drugs are necessary after trying w/o them, I'll do it, but I had a bad experience w/ritalin when I was a kid, so I'm not a big fan.
Emma is offline   Reply With Quote