Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-03-2006, 02:18 PM   #1
wagaboodleMuM
Registered Users

My Mood:
Question tips for bf this time

I nursed DS for 10 months with a nipple shield, and I really want to avoid that this time. I'm wondering, how long should early nursing sessions last. When I was in the hospital, I was nursing him for 20 minutes on each side before my milk came in. He wasn't latching properly, but no one helped me with that, so I didn't realize it. I was in so much pain and we never did get the hang of things without the shield. I really think that 20 minutes was excessive and started him on some bad habits that I don't want to repeat this time. I know it's not all about the clock, but I'd like some guidlines so I don't kill myself again.

Thanks,
Beth

Advertisement

Old 11-03-2006, 02:28 PM   #2
SugarBunsWool&More
Formerly: RileysMama
seller

My Mood:
Re: tips for bf this time

Um let's see!
I started with a shield with my son and he didn't want to use it anymore after a month! Weird kid just started refusing the breast when it had the nipple shield on it.
My advice....
Don't give pacifiers or bottles for the first month if you're serious about breastfeeding. May be easier said than done, but give it a try at least.
When you're latching the baby on, make sure to point your nip towards the baby's nose when it latches on. The baby's lips should seem to curl out from the breast, too. Get the baby to open as wide as possible before popping the boob in there.
Ask for HELP at the hospital before you leave, if you have ANY questions. Most hospitals have a LC or a lactation nurse around to help you....and you only need to ask.
Its hard to say how long they nurse. My DS is a fast eater, mostly because I had a HUGE supply and a forceful let down. He'd eat fast and be done and get as much as other babies might get in 20 minutes, in 5 minutes or less. It all depends and changes from baby to baby.
GL mama!!! You can do it.
SugarBunsWool&More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 02:40 PM   #3
ndunn
Registered Users
seller

I would say don't give pacifiers for the first 2 months and bottles ever, if you really want to make it work. I know some moms have to, to go back to work, but you never know which baby is going to develop a preference and if it were me, I would kick myself if that happened.

Get lots of support lined up from a LLL leader or GOOD lactation consultant that isn't going to just throw a nipple shield at you. Go to LLL meetings before the babe is born. Have people you can call.

In the first few hours after birth, don't let people hold or touch the baby except you, your partner and any other children you have. Keep the room lights dim and the noise level low. Make sure babe goes straight onto your chest. Offer the breast from the beginning. The newborn exam CAN wait, despite what they tell you. There is nothing urgent they need to do.

Don't let anyone around you in the first few weeks that has anything negative to say. Believe that you can do it, because you can. Try not to doubt yourself, instead view it as the most normal natural thing, and know that you'll do just fine.

Good luck!!!!!
Old 11-03-2006, 02:42 PM   #4
ndunn
Registered Users
seller

ps. about the time limits
Babies usually know when they are done nursing. When the baby unlatches or falls asleep then switch for the next feeding. Its very normal for babe to want to be on there for 20 minutes!!! even more like hours at a time, if you're my daughter lol
Old 11-03-2006, 03:22 PM   #5
pinkflamingos77
Registered Users

I agree about the bottles! I was perfectly fine until I did that around 5-1/2 months. After she got some bottles. She wanted nothing to do with me. We tried and tried and tried to get her back to breast but she fought me so hard. I finally gave up and let her have the bottles. I tried pumping and pumping and pumping but could never make enough for her. Our BFing relationship ended there. She is on formula now and drinking bottles. At least we got the 5-1/2 months. That is further then i had gotten with my boys. waaay further. I loved breastfeeding though!! It was awesome!!

Last edited by pinkflamingos77; 11-03-2006 at 03:24 PM.
pinkflamingos77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 04:42 PM   #6
Adamsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't think it is how long that is why it was hurting--I think it was the latching problem. Both of my sons nursed for long sessions in the beginning. With my first son I had no problems (except engorgement when my milk first came in). With my 2nd--he clenched his jaw and didn't open it enough. I went for about a week or maybe longer and developed cracked bleeding nipples. It was so painful. I never tried the shield. I went to the lactation consultant and explained the problem. She told me to get "My Breast Friend" and make sure he was lined up correctly and latched correctly each time. Within a few days things were going well--and my nipples healed. I would demand help from the beginning to make sure baby is latching and is positioned correctly. My son nursed for 22 months!!! I never had trouble using a paci, either, we used the silicone MAMs in the beginning and had no problem going back and forth--but I've heard others have had problems (with my first I waited 1 month to start pacis...with my 2nd he got them from day 3 but started to prefer his thumb a few months later). I didn't give bottles until 6 weeks when I went back to work pt (2 days a week my husband fed pumped milk to them in Avent bottles).

Last edited by Adamsmama; 11-03-2006 at 04:44 PM.
Adamsmama is offline   Reply With Quote