Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-31-2006, 03:19 PM   #11
stephdpn
Registered Users
seller

Re: Talk to me about Food/Diet & Behavioral Problems

Thanks for that Feingold link, Karen...I was just talking to DH about DD's diet the other day, that I think it might be the source of some of her behavior issues. Her issues are purely behavioral, not developmental in any way. My mom wants me to have her evaluated and medicated, but I said, NO WAY!!! I am going to speak with her teacher this week and see what she says, she has her masters (and background) in spec ed, but teaches at our preschool b/c she has a little one. I think a lot of her behavior is circumstantial for our benefit!

Advertisement

Old 10-31-2006, 07:32 PM   #12
SandyG
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiverfillin View Post
My DD is skinny as a rail, but a day without food didn't kill her. I think she only protested through 1 or 2 meals, then she got hungry and started to eat at least some of what was offered. Kids aren't stupid, they won't go hungry for long. They're stubborn, but not stupid. And to me, it was a hardship worth enduring because of the payoff of better behavior, more talking, etc. I can't afford $70,000/year for behavioral therapy to treat her autism, but I can change the food she eats. It's what has worked for us.
urgh believe me i tried. it breaks my heart. today he has eaten very little of his lunch and juice that is it but i stood ground and did it. will see how it goes.
SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 06:51 AM   #13
Quiverfillin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Good for you Sandy! It will get easier!
Old 11-01-2006, 07:05 AM   #14
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

I removed red dye from dd's diet and preservatives...It has made a WORLD of difference. She is a completely different child than she was 6 months ago. She is a very picky eater also...I have to say I'm happy though that her favorite foods are celery, homemade pasta, tomatos, eggs, homemade pizza, and all kinds of fruit. So generally I have a way to get healthy food in her. My biggest concern was protien, she hated meat and nuts, but recently she started liking eggs.

If a kid never grows up eating junk food, they aren't going to want it anyways. I grew up in a junk food free house and I never liked it growing up nor do I like it now. When I was a kid my favorite snack was carrots and homemade veggie dip.
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 07:20 AM   #15
amanda1188
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Do you guys have to deal with any relatives sabotaging your efforts? I'm trying to start feeding my kids healthier foods and limiting their sugar , but my mom is constantly giving them junk. She thinks I'm depriving them and I'm too strict. This is a major problem, because my 4 yo has spent the night over there every Thursday night since she was a tiny baby, so I can't just not let her go, you know? DD is used to getting ice cream, coke, choc milk and anything else she wants as much as she wants over there and it's driving me nuts!!! Has anybody else had to deal with this?
Old 11-01-2006, 07:34 AM   #16
keegans_mommy
I had the CD wagon impounded!
seller

My Mood:

Mandi-My MIL tried ONCE and I had to be VERY firm with her! She was actually sending a big bag of candy home with my 4 kids and I politely said no thank you. She looked at me quite sternly and asked me if I was sure and I had to look sternly at her and say that I was positive! She backed down from there.

Luckily for us, we don't see our IL's very often so that isn't a huge deal for us and we homeschool so our kids no longer get the bribing candy from teachers and our kids trading lunches either. We have better control over their food now and that helps.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:56 PM   #17
sunshinemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ok, I've looked at almost everything we eat, the only dye I found was yellow and in the mustard. We don't eat alot of processed foods. I have another question, Has anyone linked peanut butter to behavioral issues? I would hate it the anser is yes, ds could live on pb&j if I let him. Aslo any recommendations on gluton free bread, hopefully something I can get at a reg, grocery, we don't have many health food stores around and certianly nothing like trader joes.
sunshinemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 07:49 PM   #18
SandyG
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiverfillin View Post
Good for you Sandy! It will get easier!
crap it didnt work
ill ask davids director if she knows any gluten free bread. you could goggle it and see if you can find anything. nowadays its just easy to gooogle lol
eta i did goggle for you . there is a LOOOOT here is one link http://www.dfwceliac.org/html/gluten_free_foods.html

Last edited by SandyG; 11-03-2006 at 07:52 PM.
SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 06:08 AM   #19
sunshinemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

don't know why i didn't think to do that! thanks
sunshinemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 06:43 AM   #20
Summer
Registered Users
seller

Smile Re: Talk to me about Food/Diet & Behavioral Problems

Quote:
Has anyone linked peanut butter to behavioral issues? I would hate it the anser is yes, ds could live on pb&j if I let him.
I know that regular PB is not good and has hydrogenated oils etc.. I have always given the kid's natural PB. It does taste different and may take some getting used to if you tried to switch. Also, jelly is full of sugar, but you could always get a natural fruit spread instead. Sorry, I know that is not what you wanted to hear.
Summer is offline   Reply With Quote