Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-22-2008, 10:40 AM   #1
wildeyes
Tummy Kisses Diapers
seller

My Mood:
debating quitting work...

sooo i had to step down from my full time position, due to scedule conflicts, and i lost almost 5/hr. this week i was scheduled for a whopping 10 hours. thats not even $100. after gas, snacks while at work, and the child support i have to pay (long story) i end up with about 10 bucks of my check. i am going to talk to my boss and see if they can schedule me for more hours, but at what point do i just give up and stay home? we can live off dh's salary, i am working to help pay down the debt, and maybe one day buy a house.
we dont have child care, and its just too much money to pay for it.

what are my options?? i was thinking about taking up sewing and seeing of i could make something interesting, other than dipes (too much competition) well.. i do know how to sew i just need to do it more lol

Advertisement

Officially ERF!!!
wildeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:48 AM   #2
liberty4all
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: debating quitting work...

If I were you, I would quit. If you can't sew all that well or don't want to get into that competition, find something else you are good at, enjoy doing and can do during naps. Many people recommend ChaCha, but I have a very hard time doing that when at home because the requests come right after another. You don't have to accept them, but I always tell myself, oh it's only another 2 minutes! And that turns into way more!

Check WAHM forums to see what different kinds of things other are doing. Many moms find party businesses work well for them because they also get to spend time with other grownups that way. If you attend a church, see if they need a secretary. Advertise as a house cleaner or pet sitter or personal grocery shopper. There are lots of possibilities, you just have to be creative!

Good luck!
Old 07-22-2008, 12:15 PM   #3
wildeyes
Tummy Kisses Diapers
seller

My Mood:

thank you so much for the tips!! maybe i can start doing some of that now while i'm at owrk and it wont be so scary if/when i quit. i'm still gonna talk to my boss and see what gives tho. a big part of the problem is i have to work around dh's hours. and he doesnt always have a set schedule.
Officially ERF!!!
wildeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 01:36 PM   #4
Mommimi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Check out criagslist and see what ppl are posting. A good SAH option is always to care for someone else's child.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:39 PM   #5
mamamandi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm so with you on this one. Without posting my whole long story....just letting you know I feel yah.

I agree with PP about possibly quiting, just not worth it when you do the math. Finding something you are good at and building from that is a great idea.

Good Luck.
mamamandi is offline   Reply With Quote