Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-23-2008, 09:46 PM   #1
dvansmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question to those that watch a child in your home.

I am seriously considering this so I can stay home with Donovan and make some extra money. I asked my pedi for advice on what age would be easier to watch with my almost 6 month old. She said maybe 4-5 years old. I worry about watching another child that is as young as my son. If you have any advice I would love to hear it. Also, how do you come up with how much to charge?

Hope everyone is having a great week.

Advertisement

Holly-mama to Donovan 6
dvansmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:22 AM   #2
SewbeeitCouture
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Question to those that watch a child in your home.

I currently watch a 6 month old and I have 3 of my own (9 months, 2 and 6) and it actually isn't hard at all. You get them on a schedule. As far as fees call around to local centers and see what they charge. I have priced below what centers charge.
SewbeeitCouture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:26 AM   #3
JDT
Banned

My Mood:

I think it depends more on what works for you. How organized you are, etc.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:40 AM   #4
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Closer to 12 months.. even a little younger, they LOOOOVE to have a kid their age. I always keep at least two toddlers that are really close in age.

So, I suggest you find some younger kids, maybe 2-ish, and then in a few months, find a child that is the same age as your son.

The little dark haired girl has been an "only" here for the first nine months, then I got the blonde boy and she has been in heaven ever since. She adores him. He's four months older, and she thinks the entire world revolves around him.

Last edited by escapethevillage; 07-24-2008 at 09:42 AM.
escapethevillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:45 AM   #5
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Also. My dd is 15 years old now. SHe is still very close with a daycare boy that was three months younger than her. They have grown up together, and I wouldn't change a thing about that. They went to school together until 7th grade when We moved. But, they still talk every few days.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:10 PM   #6
Mommimi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When I was looking for SAHM care for my son I specifically looked for a mom with a child my son's age. Children who grow up with another child of the same age have many advantages - better communication, socialization skills, learn to be patient etc (same as with twins). Also for the provider it is better because you don't have different stages (toys, books, dipe sizes, clothes - in case one runs out) to worry about since they should be about the same developmentally. Even at parks the older children stuff are often placed apart from the toddlers - so its more difficult to watch 2 playing at diff structures.
In some ways it is actually easier watch 2 the same age. When they are around 9mths and up, you don't have to play with them, they can entertain each other and you just need to mediate.
The trick is to have set-up an infant safe area where they could do their own thing and have the changing table nearby so you could still watch one while changing the other. Also two high chairs.
Children like routines, and once you have one set-up they will adopt it.

Around here SAHM care is higher than licensed Family care (better ratio) but less than the large Preschool/Daycare center. (Also depends on the arrangement - ie taxes). And it depends on what certification you have. For where I live and with my background (degree in child pysch, ECE, Trustlined, Clean DMV, prior Dir at Preschool) I could easily charge $2,400/month or $600/week if I went to their home (nanny). I'd charge $400/week per child if I took on two children. I can go as high as $4,000/mth for the real picky richie rich but they wouldn't want me to have my son with me. (My going rate is $30/hr for babysitting; long-term temp care is $25/hr). Yeah I am on the expensive end, but I am worth it :-)
If at my home I could only charge $200-$300/week.

Last edited by Mommimi; 07-24-2008 at 12:25 PM.
Mommimi is offline   Reply With Quote