Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-24-2008, 12:17 PM   #1
yakochica
Registered Users

My Mood:
Unhappy Re-lactation - is it possible/worth it

This is a long one so I hope you will bear with me and hopefully be able to help.
About a month ago I went on antibiotics for what was suspected to be gallstones. Two weeks later the symptoms returned and I ended up having my gallbladder removed because of infection. Since I started the antibiotics I have had to switch my DD to formula.
Previous to getting sick I was having trouble making enough milk. My DD went through a growth spurt and my body had a hard time catching up. I tried all the things I knew to increase my milk supply - nursed on demand at least every hour if not more frequently, increased my food intake, supplemented with brewer's yeast and fenugreek. It seemed like this was working and my supply was increasing but family and friends were still concerned that she was too skinny. To me she looked fine and seemed to be energetic so I would just brush off there comments and tell them that I just have skinny babies; my DS was also very lean as a baby.
Fast forward to sickness and surgery and formula. Since going on formula I have noticed a profound difference in her weight but I have not seen a difference in her energy level - but that was never a concern to begin with.

My DD is 8 almost 9 months and I had planned on nursing her a year. I really miss nursing her because of the bond that I felt with her. She was a comfort nurser and I miss being able to give her comfort in that way.

So what I would like to know is if trying to reestablish my milk supply is possible or even worth the effort. I can still express tiny droplets from my nipple which means I am still producing milk. I can't use breast pumps because my nipples are very sensitive and they feel like they are being ripped off every time I use one - even the expensive kinds.

Any ideas or direction as to where I might get more information/help are welcome.
Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

Old 07-24-2008, 12:22 PM   #2
clanoblackadders
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Re-lactation - is it possible/worth it

There is a medication called Domperidone that has the side effect of producing lactation. YOu can ask your doctor about that.
Also, what about trying a supplemental feeder bag. That way you can have your daughter and the breast, still provide the formula which is necessary right now and stimulate lactation. I don't think that they're very expensive. I believe that medela makes one.
clanoblackadders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:30 PM   #3
Birdof1985
Banned
seller

My Mood:
Re: Re-lactation - is it possible/worth it

Yes it is VERY possible, many adoptive moms feed their babies with induced lactation. Even moms who havent adopted (like me) have relactated. Its HARD, LONG work, but worth it!

As far as the pumping issue, im not help because a pump would be a good tool to establish your supply.

Having drops is a GREAt thing because youre still making milk. Have you tried just putting to the breast and see what happens?

babies tend to get lazy sometimes when given a bottle/formula and switching back to breast- a bottle is less work for them to get the milk out. so they need help. Try as other poster said an SNS. Try bring baby to breast and cutting back on supplements.
Try feenugreek, Milk thistle, blessed thistle, more milk plus, mothers milk, (check out kellymom.com for a LONG list of things that can help with milk production increase)
Check out LLLI.org and their relactation forum.
CALL A LC and/or a LLL leader. LLL leader is FREE. LC may not be if your insurance doesnt cover it.
Domperidone/Reglan are Rx that can help, Reglan i took and can cause depression (didnt with me), Domperidone isnt FDA approved.

hth
Birdof1985 is offline   Reply With Quote