Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-02-2006, 09:36 AM   #11
ajm0130
Registered Users

Re: EBM and NIP...

My son started getting too big in my lap at about 9 months and would not let me keep a cover over him. I would usually go out to my car to feed him when we were somewhere that I felt uncomfortable flashing people

As he got older, it was easy to pacify him with food during the day. At night he insisted on nursing though. So, it was only an issue for us if we went out to dinner or somewhere late.

I nursed him for 13 months. I guess that isn't much extended. Sadly...longer than typical.

Advertisement

ajm0130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 09:09 PM   #12
Mom2Natalya
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonprysm View Post
For those who have older children who are nursing, do you stop NIP at a certain point? It really worries me, as I've heard cases of CPS called on parents nursing older children for "sexual abuse". People around here don't breastfeed...I can count on 1 hand the number of times I've ever seen anybody nurse other than me. So I'd definitely be worried to let DS NIP once he's a certain age...I'm just not sure what that age is. I was thinking 1 since the AAP recommends BFing until 1. But I don't know if he'll be ready at 1 to not nurse if we're out...kwim?
Excuse me, but I call Bulls*** on that. (not to you, to the cps thing)
My daugher is 17 months old (almost) and I NIP her all the time. Well, when she asks. In fact, the only time I've ever gotten a dirty look while bf'ing was at a restaurant the other night. I just glared back until the old fart looked away. screw 'em. My baby needs mommy's milk- and she gets it.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:12 PM   #13
Mom2Natalya
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChurchPunkMom View Post

I worry a little.. we're hoping to move to TN soon and from stories I've heard there seems to be more criticism in that region. CA is a very easy state to NIP in. Here, people don't really talk to each other - they just kind of mind their own business. I'm more likely to get wierd looks than any comments. I just smile back.
I live in Nashville, what part of TN are you moving to? Until the other night, I've never had any comments (or really looks even) and I NIP just about every time we go out. I wouldn't say I often see other bf'ing mamas NIP, but on occasion I do. I always smile at them.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:34 AM   #14
Ali
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by titania View Post
and i think i have seen like 2 women, my whole life, nip (not counting LLL meetings!). it is so not done around these parts! i say, do what feels right to you, and be confident in that. good job mama!!
I find myself very lucky. Two of my very best girlfriends both are huge rolemodels. One of them breastfed until 18 months when her son weened himself and the other is still bfing her 10 month old. They both bf in public, at parties when we are together, etc.

My mom and grandma both did not breastfeed but at that time the doctors told them formula was best so they thought they were doing the best thing and now they both say they wished they could have breastfed and are totally supportive. Not one person in my life/family has said a single negative thing about it... so I think all the pro-bfing campaigns are changing views. I just wish more women did feel comfortable breastfeeding in public in America like women in some other countries.
Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 11:31 AM   #15
bethn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I nurse my 17-month-old in public, well, on the train LOL. We commute to Philadelphia two times a week (he comes to the office with me) and I nurse him if he wants/needs to. It can be a bit awkward if someone is sitting next to me because I have to really curl DS's legs around me, but people are always very pleasant about it. I will say that DS is small for his age, at the bottom of the growth chart, so most people probably think he's closer to a year old. I know I will continue to NIP until at least age 2, and then we'll see after that.

ETA - I will also NIP anytime, anywhere - restaurants, malls, visiting family or friends, etc.

Last edited by bethn; 11-06-2006 at 11:32 AM. Reason: added comments
bethn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 12:22 PM   #16
AshersMommy
Registered Users
seller

My SO and I got into a discussion last night. He said that store owners have the right to ask a BFing mother to leave the store, since it is private property. Is this true? We live in Mississippi, and I know there is a law protecting a woman who is BFing, but I am not sure if there are laws protecting her from harrassment.

I hate trying to decipher lawyerese.

Like to read? Want something new? Come join us in the March Used Book Swap!
AshersMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 12:53 PM   #17
ralenth
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshersMommy View Post
My SO and I got into a discussion last night. He said that store owners have the right to ask a BFing mother to leave the store, since it is private property. Is this true? We live in Mississippi, and I know there is a law protecting a woman who is BFing, but I am not sure if there are laws protecting her from harrassment.

That depends on the state you live in. Here, there is a law protecting breastfeeding Moms - nobody can ask you to leave for breastfeeding - as long as you already have a right to be there. Meaning, I can breastfeed in Walmart, but I couldn't walk into your house and breastfeed, because I don't have a right to be in your house.

Here is a link the LLL list of breastfeeding legislation http://www.lalecheleague.org/Law/LawBills.html According to their site, there are no laws protecting breastfeeding women in Mississippi.
ralenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 02:09 PM   #18
bethn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshersMommy View Post

The state of Pennsylvania does not have a long protecting the right of a mother to breastfeed, but the city of Philadelphia DOES. In fact, the Dept of Human Services gives out little business cards with information about the law that people can give to business owners if they are questioned. Lots I don't care for about Philly, but kudos to them on this one.

Sometimes I have this daydream that somebody will question me about breastfeeding on the train outside of the Philadelphia city limits and I'll call the media and make a BIG stink about it. LOL - it would be such a high to make a big stink about it.
bethn is offline   Reply With Quote