Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-23-2008, 08:50 PM   #11
borabora511
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: breast milk donation info? - freezer overflowing

I'm just starting with IBMP Bank- I think they are in CA- and they will take previously frozen/ previously pumped milk... My freezer is overflowing as well, and I hate admitting that I dump about 15oz of milk every couple of days because I don't have any more storage bags...

I pump out 10-12oz every morning before going to the gym! Can't work out with full boobies... and DS HATES the bottle!!! So that equals... massive milk!!!

I did have to send a cheek swab for DNA matching and then also do a blood draw to show i don't have any diseases... I should be approved by next week and then I can send them everything in my freezer- up to 8 months old they'll accept (mine is only max of 4 months old!)

Advertisement

Old 07-23-2008, 09:15 PM   #12
kittykat2481
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by borabora511 View Post
up to 8 months old they'll accept (mine is only max of 4 months old!)
Is this from a deep freeze or a regular freezer?
Old 07-24-2008, 06:53 AM   #13
borabora511
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittykat2481 View Post
Is this from a deep freeze or a regular freezer?
Regular Freezer... when I got my test kit- they give you a thermometer to establish your freezer temperature... Mine was at zero- and they wanted it colder- I put it on the coldest setting and got it down to about -8... and they said that was perfect?!?! It sounded strange to me- but they know what they are doing, and they wouldn't do it if it wasnt going to work going to the premmie babies and HIV babies in Africa... (oh, that's another cool part- 25% of the milk goes to HIV positive babies in orphanages in Africa!)

Here is their website http://www.breastmilkproject.org/

Last edited by borabora511; 07-24-2008 at 06:54 AM.
borabora511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:19 AM   #14
3boysmom
Registered Users

If anyone is willing to ship to Canada- I know a mama IDSO breastmilk. Not sure if she can afford the shipping, but I'm betting she's willing to look into it! Canada only has ONE milkbank.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:48 PM   #15
kate2008
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow, ladies you're awesome. IDK if I'd do it (BM HAS to be better than giving baby formula, which I do twice a day), but I've got low supply issues and have wondered about milkshare.org. . . I totally wish I could pump that much. I'm so lucky if I get an oz each session
Old 07-25-2008, 03:34 AM   #16
AddysMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i am a milk recipient for my daughter and i have to put out a plea to please check out MilkShare first. there is a yahoo group for it, you can even find a mom/baby close to you so you dont have to do any shipping, and most milk recipients happily provide storage bags. and you can make a long time friend and watch the baby grow up big strong and healthy on your milk.

also, if anyone is in or within an hours drive of Portland Oregon, we are in need of milk, we have one, MAYBE two weeks left in the freezer, and our donor moved to CA. PLEASE pm me if you could donate to Niamh.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:18 AM   #17
Cadensmommy
Registered Users
seller

i have donated over 1000 oz thru milkshare to one family its a great sharing program and i love seeing my milk baby when she picks up!

Clarissa
Old 07-25-2008, 09:59 AM   #18
SBGangelJC
Registered Users

My Mood:

Wow I wish I would have known about this. I just had to throw away about 100 ounces because I was moving and couldn't take it. It is a lot of hard work to make so much milk. I hated getting rid of it.
SBGangelJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:40 PM   #19
reneemomof2
Registered Users

I will check out mikshare. I like the idea of giving it for free because most mamas can't afford $3 an oz, but if you donate to a bank, they provide to the sick babies in the hospital who need it and insurance will pay for it. I haven't heard back from the milk bank I applied for. So there are positives on both sides. A neonatal unit wouldn't take milk without the right screening.
reneemomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 05:47 AM   #20
bumblesmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't need any BM but $3/oz?!!
At roughly (usually more) 6-8oz, 3-4 times per day; if I had to do that now with my dd, it would cost me $54-$96 per day!

How is that helping any momma and baby?! That must turn a lot of desperate mommas in need off of BM and turn them on to formula. I don't blame them.