Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-27-2008, 11:53 AM   #1
RobertsMomma3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Formula problems

I don't know whether to post this here or in breastfeeding support. I chose here because I figured y'all would know more about formula.

My son is 4 months old and for the most part EBF. I've been back to work for like two or so months now and pumping was great. However, for the past about two weeks, whenever I try to pump at work I get maybe an ounce from both breasts if I'm lucky. Some days I'm absolutely lucky because I can manage 4oz. However, DS is eating between 6-10 oz while I am at work. (I only work 5-6 hr shifts) I've tried EVERYTHING, except getting an electric pump because that's just not affordable right now.

Now, to my question. We have been having to supplement every now and then with formula. We've tried Similac (the blue can), Similac Isomil and Enfamil (sp?). Now, everytime my son has a bottle of one of these, it comes back up really chunky. Looks like rotten milk or something. He doesnt just get sick a little bit either, the entire amount will come out. But he acts normal, like it doesnt even phase him.

My question is... is it the formula making him sick OR could there be something wrong? Is there a certain formula you'd reccommend for him?

Advertisement

RobertsMomma3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 11:57 AM   #2
fallon
Black Sheep Boutique
seller

My Mood:
Re: Formula problems

he's probably having a hard time with digesting the new food. Spit up is normal but not chunky or the whole amount. Maybe the Good Start forumla would be more gentel on his belly and he would digest it better.
fallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 01:21 PM   #3
laceysmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

First off, you should be drinking lots of water, eating lots of oatmeal and maybe taking an herbal supplement, fenugreek, to increase your milk supply. Talk to a lactationist or your OB if you can about sustaining your supply while working.
Secondly, chunky and that volume of spit up is not good, like pp said, its probably his body adgusting to the new food. I agree about the good start formula, and maybe a chat with the ped to see what they reccomend?
Old 07-27-2008, 01:39 PM   #4
mrickmon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My daughter spit up everything - breastmilk, which she was exclusively fed for 5 1/2 mos, and formula (Similac & regular Enfamil) - and it didn't seem to phase her, she gained weight well and was a happy baby. But, because of the excessive spitting up, we switched her formula to Enfamil Gentlease and after a bit there was no more spitting up (or at least just the tiny bit most babies have). Gentlease and Good Start are similar in that they both have broken down whey proteins, which are easier to digest.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:34 AM   #5
ouchienurse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our DD couldn't tolerate anything except Similac Alimentum. It's totally hypo allergenic, no milk/no soy, and the protiens are broken down so it's easy to digest. After a few months we started on Gentelese and she is doing great. She didn't even notice the switch.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:53 AM   #6
cari15838
Registered Users

My Mood:

Hey mama, I EBF my 4 month old, and I pumped alot for amonth or two. when I started pumping I could not get ANYTHING at all (1/2 oz if really lucky) then I learned what worked for me, which was pumping while nursing. Can you pump while you are not at work, like first thing in the AM or in the evenings? If I pump while nursing I could get 2-6 oz at a time, depending on how full Iwas, how long since I pumped last, etc. but always way more than what I got when not nursing at the same time. THe reason? because I can't let down to the pump. I dont think I ever tried while I was completely engorged. strike that, I did the first time my milk came in. I didnt get anything at all. a few drops...... ummmm some tips for letting down? when you cant pump and nurse at the same time.... look at a cute pic of your baby. thing loving thoughts. on the flip side of that, record your baby crying and listen to that. both of those things can help ..... maybe not put together. but maybe look at a cute smiling pic and listen to the crying at the same time? cant hurt anyways.... are you using breast compression/massage while pumping? (squeeze em)

warm towels on your breasts? a warm shower or bath is out of the question

If supply is the issue with pumping at the same time as nursing you could try mothers milk tea. it wworks great for me, I get engorged in about 6 hours after drinking it. I usually make a gallon of lipton iced tea and make it with one bag of MM tea thrown in, (alot of sugar) and drink that gallon through the day for fluid intake as well as the boost I get from the MM tea......

otherwise, is there any way to have someone bring him to you while you are at work to nurse? try to be stingy with what you do pump, dont put more in a bottle than he may drink, remember always try to nurse right before you go and right when you get back, save any extra BM you have pumped for the next day and maybe you could get enough for a stash?

as far as the formula goes, I dont know much about it and the different types... but what I have READ is that you should stick to one kind((to allow him to get used to it)) unless there is a problem such as lactose intolerance.... if you have breast milk available to mix it with that is good, but I have also read than rather than mixing the two you should give the available BM first, THEN the formula...... maybe you could work on building an extra stash by pumping and nursing when you have a couple days off (weekend?)

what type pump are you using? I use a medela harmony manual HH and a medela PIS double electric, and honestly get the same results from both. the harmony has alet down function (short quick pumping) and then the way to pump once you let down (you can just hold the handle down for a good while, just watch til milk stops coming then release and squeezze again. I ordered a second one from drugstore.com for only 31$ including shipping a couple months ago, I thought that was a good deal........

If you need any more help PM me and I will try to help. I've researched the heck out of BFing and pumping. this is all I could think to tell you though.

good luck!!

Last edited by cari15838; 07-28-2008 at 01:54 AM.
cari15838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 07:53 AM   #7
BuNkY8384
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am not help with the BF issues but it looks like you have received some good advice on that already. I would try the Goodstart without DHA and ARA. A lot of babies don't seem to do well with the DHA... and the Goodstart is partially broken down so hopefully that will help him tolerate it.

Have you thought about renting an electric pump for a month to see if it would help? That way you aren't spending all the $$ upfront just in case it doesn't make a difference.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:24 AM   #8
Bellamoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouchienurse View Post
Our DD couldn't tolerate anything except Similac Alimentum. It's totally hypo allergenic, no milk/no soy, and the protiens are broken down so it's easy to digest. After a few months we started on Gentelese and she is doing great. She didn't even notice the switch.
thats not entirely true...the second ingreadeant is Casien which is milk...i know this cause my dd is highly allerigc to milk and soy!

However if your child can tolerate you drinking milk then it would probably work for you
Old 07-28-2008, 08:46 AM   #9
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuNkY8384 View Post
I am not help with the BF issues but it looks like you have received some good advice on that already. I would try the Goodstart without DHA and ARA. A lot of babies don't seem to do well with the DHA... and the Goodstart is partially broken down so hopefully that will help him tolerate it.

Have you thought about renting an electric pump for a month to see if it would help? That way you aren't spending all the $$ upfront just in case it doesn't make a difference.
ITA. Most of my babies in my practice who have trouble with spitting do well when we get them off the DHA/ARA. You can still find similac like this and good start. These formulas are cheaper too.
SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:09 AM   #10
amk0518
Registered Users
seller

I agree with Goodstart w/o dha/ara--purple can. It's the only formula my baby tolerates--well we didn't try hypoallergenics.
amk0518 is offline   Reply With Quote