Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-25-2008, 07:34 PM   #11
JDT
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Bullying at daycare

So Cathy, did you go in there and crack some skulls!?

Advertisement

JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:48 PM   #12
Cathy_B
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi everyone, thanks again for all your concern and support. I was MIA for a little while (small family vacation) ... sorry for the delay.

The meeting was ok, but it did not go quite as planned. DH was unable to come after all, and we ended up meeting during regular hours with some distractions, rather than after hours. So we may arrange a follow-up if we find it necessary.

I didn't crack any skulls (LOL) but we did agree on the following - since this is a home-based daycare and there are several "play zones" our children will subtly be encouraged to play in different areas. (My older DS is about the same age as this other boy, so my ds has been the most common target. So while I recognize that this arrangement does not protect all the children as much as my own, it's important to know that mine bore the greatest risk so needed the most protection at this time.) If they are in the same area they will be monitored more closely.

The daycare lady, on her own accord, said a few times that if she would ask that the other parents remove the other child if she thought the risk warranted that.

We didn't get into what types of discipline have been attempted with this child, although I know that he stands in the corner a lot, and I know that he has been removed from play areas when he has been disruptive. I did inquire whether there were any suspected allergies - none noted. But I know the mom so I will probably follow up on that with mom.

In the meantime, I've seen wonderful things from this kid too. He loves to give hugs and can be very gentle. I've seen him share toys (even with my kids) without being prompted. So for some reason there are times that he just tips, and has these aggressive moments. I hope it can be worked out. There is a wonderful little boy in there. I've seen him.

So, daycare will be extra vigilant and I'll continue to monitor. I'm not sure if I should have done anything differently or not. But, I made the best requests that I knew.

Thanks again everyone. It is wonderful having your feedback and just knowing how much people care out there. If there are updates, I'll be sure to post them. For now, happy evening!

Cathy
Old 07-29-2008, 12:01 AM   #13
Mommimi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Glad to hear things are moving in the right direction. Keep us updated.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:37 AM   #14
JDT
Banned

My Mood:

It sounds like you did well! Good for you mommy!!!

My son was the victim of a bully on several occations when he was younger. He's the kind of kid that would just take it and not say anything. It's like you can push him - but only so far. On 2 seperate occations he snaped and did some real damage to other children. He gave one boy a concussion by hitting him in the head with a metal Tonka truck. On another occation he just beat the mess out of hte kid (in front of the kids mother).

It was only when he was questioned did we discover that it had started out a bully situation.

Anyway - all of that to say I hope that your kid (or some other kid) doesn't get mad and beat the snot out of this bully.

But it sounds like the situation is under control for now.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote