Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-23-2006, 01:26 PM   #1
mom2t
Registered Users
seller

New to cloth, need advice

My daughter had a reaction (probably the latex) to her disposables so we are starting cloth. I have purchased 4 brands, What is wicking and which diaper is best to keep her irratated skin dry?

Advertisement

Last edited by mom2t; 04-23-2006 at 01:28 PM.
mom2t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 07:57 PM   #2
fpww_rachael
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: New to cloth, need advice

One way to keep her irritated skin dry is to put a fleece liner next to the skin. Fleece pulls moisture away from the skin and into the layer underneath it. I have also heard of some people using silk liners to treat diaper rash. I've never tried that, though. Fleece is also very soft against a baby's bottom. I use a fleece liner/doubler at night for my DD because she will go a long time without being changed, so her diaper will be very wet. However, with the fleece liner/doubler, she stays feeling dry at night!

Rachael
Old 04-23-2006, 08:00 PM   #3
toryandrew
Registered Users
seller

Wicking is when instead of the diaper keeping liquids in the outside fabric is pulling the liquid out causing leakage. Not a problem in diapers in good condition.
toryandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 08:02 PM   #4
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

I agree w/PP about the fleece. Really helpful. At night I started using microfiber b/c that just sucks up pee... I have sewn terry or fleece around some so that it's not right on baby's bum. Works so well.

As far as brand, I think that's trial & error in finding what you like. I personally prefer PFs & a cover... it used to be PUL but now I am really in love w/fleece & wool. seems to breath so much better on my new little one - he's got such sensitive skin & needs all the air he can get. He is also allergic to something in the sposies. I CDd before w/DS#1 but even just the new baby wearing sposie ac ouple times like in the hospital or w/babysitter... he always has a bad rash so we knocked that out.