Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-31-2008, 06:21 AM   #91
ChocolateMoose
Registered Users
seller

Re: Green & Thrifty...Making Your Own Detergent!

If you have concerns about the borax, or have tried it and your child is sensitive, you could use washing soda and a squirt of simple green to wash your diapers!

Advertisement

Old 07-31-2008, 06:32 AM   #92
mom2olivia1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

can we make a list of surfactants. This is all rather new info for me and i was trying to find out what natural surfactants are.

I have simple green and had no idea it was a surfactant, but haven't investigated what simple green consists of...i'll be reading the label after i post this.

And a pp posted olive oil soap. Would be Dr. Bronner's Castile Soaps? I am not completely sold that soap will leave a residue if used on cloth dipes if the quantity of it is right, but i am also not sold that it won't. I have talked to a retailer who uses soap in hers and says when it breaks down it won't leave a residue (for short of a more technical answer).

I am curious to know what a dry equivalent of simple green would be.

THAT BOTTOM LIP DESIGNS
mom2olivia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:39 AM   #93
ChocolateMoose
Registered Users
seller

Here's the "wiki" on Simple Green ingredients....

The exact ingredients in Simple Green are not disclosed because Simple Green's formula is a trade secret. But, the Material safety data sheet (MSDS) indicates that Simple Green contains 0.3% phosphorus "by formula" which is over 1% phosphate. The MSDS also indicates that undiluted Simple Green contains less than 6% 2-butoxyethanol.[1] which is outside the guidelines as set forth by the California Air Resources Board in all purpose spray cleaners, but within the limits for diluteable cleaners.

Simple Green has contained Nonylphenol Ethoxylates for years. Nonylphenol ethoxylates have been all but banned in Europe and Japan due to environmental concerns. Simple Green is not an environmentally "green" product!

The product's web site states that Simple Green products are non-toxic and biodegradable and that the makers of Simple Green have spent over 3 million dollars to verify the safety claims of the product.[2]

Simple Green is absolutely willing to send a copy of the complete arsenal of tests, upon request to concerned consumers.

So...apparently Simple Green is non-toxic and biodegradable, but not all natural or phosphate-free.

Also, I have some concerns about "Nonylphenol Ethoxylates" and "2-butoxyethanol" being ingredients....I'll have to do more research on those.

Last edited by ChocolateMoose; 07-31-2008 at 06:47 AM.
ChocolateMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:39 AM   #94
My4Boys4Me
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have been using this for years & love it - I know lots of people who add essential oils - like lavandar!!
Jennifer - Maried to the Love of my Life my Former Doran & Super Blessed <>< WAH & Homeschooling Mom to 4 Awesome Boys Michael - 11 Dane - 8 My SN Baby Cort - 6 & my CoSleeping Breastfed Baby Dax - 17 Mo. Also trying to be as Crunchy Organically green as I can!!
My4Boys4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:42 AM   #95
ChocolateMoose
Registered Users
seller

I know you can add EOs, but I'm not sure how.

My guess would be to add the oils directly to the wash, but I know Crunchy Clean sells scented detergent, so there must be a way to add it to the powder....maybe just mix it in and let it dry?

Any ideas?

Last edited by ChocolateMoose; 07-31-2008 at 06:59 PM.
ChocolateMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:28 AM   #96
va703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This diaper detergent recipe is working out really well for us, and no rash problems. Diapers are getting MUCH cleaner in our FLer and we have almost entirely eliminated our ammonia stink problem. (The only time I get any ammonia in the pail is when we use a diaper that hasn't been treated to our new wash routine.) I hesitate to add any type of surfactant/soap to the mix, as I think that much of our ammonia and stinky troubles came from residue on the dipes, and with a FLer I worry that it just won't rinse out well enough. (We were using Tide. It was eeeww.) I've started adding a half scoop of this mix to our regular laundry (still using Tide for that) and it's helping our normal laundry as well.

ETA: I've been using 1 T in the prewash, 2 T in the wash cycle. I've also been adding some calgon as our water is terribly hard.

Happy mama to my 4 handsome boys

Last edited by va703; 08-01-2008 at 06:22 AM.
va703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:43 AM   #97
passthepickles
Registered Users
Formerly: shannbannan
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateMoose View Post
I know you can add EOs, but I'm not sure how.

My guess would be to add the oils directly to the wash, but I know Crunch Clean sells scented detergent, so there must be a way to add it to the powder....maybe just mix it in and let it dry?

Any ideas?
I wonder how it would turn out of you just sprayed it on with a spray bottle and then mixed it in? It seems like you would get it coated better that way...

Now i'm curious...
Old 07-31-2008, 11:53 AM   #98
ChocolateMoose
Registered Users
seller

LOL...curiosity seems to be the thing driving this thread!

Anyone else feel like they're back in chem class when they do laundry?

Old 07-31-2008, 03:30 PM   #99
thefragile7393
Registered Users

Quote:
And a pp posted olive oil soap. Would be Dr. Bronner's Castile Soaps? I am not completely sold that soap will leave a residue if used on cloth dipes if the quantity of it is right, but i am also not sold that it won't. I have talked to a retailer who uses soap in hers and says when it breaks down it won't leave a residue (for short of a more technical answer).
Olive oil soap is castille soap yes. And yes, it will leave a residue, depending on the type of diapers you use. Dr. B's, for instance, should not be used on pockets or AIO's, due to the synthetic fibers.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:50 PM   #100
mom2olivia1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile7393 View Post
Olive oil soap is castille soap yes. And yes, it will leave a residue, depending on the type of diapers you use. Dr. B's, for instance, should not be used on pockets or AIO's, due to the synthetic fibers.
personally i don't use pockets or aio's, but i would then think that my covers which are pul as well as procare (in some cases) shouldn't use this then....I want to be sure i am using ingredients that will be the most natural, green, yet be as clean as possible. I DO feel like I am in chemistry class for sure.

THAT BOTTOM LIP DESIGNS
mom2olivia1 is offline   Reply With Quote