Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-29-2008, 05:40 PM   #1
Aria's Mom
Registered Users
seller

Crazy baby hands while bottlefeeding: Help!

This is a crazy question. I've honestly seen more bfing mothers intimately than bottlefeeding ones. So now that I'm supplementing with formula, I don't know what to do.

How do you hold your baby while you bottlefeed them? I always want to hold her differently than when I bf her so she knows that they're different.

My dd is almost 6 months old and she's starting to drape her arms on the bottle, hitting the bottle with her hands/arms, tapping the bottle, scratching the bottle... and all this while she's actively sucking on the bottle. I feel like fighting her at every feeding. Is this what bottlefeeding moms go through for the first year? How do you avoid it? How do you teach her to not do it? Help???

Thanks for your help!

Advertisement

Aria's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:25 PM   #2
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Crazy baby hands while bottlefeeding: Help!

Have you tried just letting her hold the bottle? DD was about 6 months when she decided the bottle was hers. If she won't hold the bottle, maybe give her something else to hold onto.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:58 AM   #3
Aria's Mom
Registered Users
seller

I will try giving her something else to hold, good idea!

I read on an Attachment Parenting website somewhere that some mothers try to prevent their babes from holding their own bottle; the babe is fed their food, just like breastfeeding (can't take off the breast, give to babe to hold, go off and do something else).

But now that I'm in this, I don't know if that will work for us... I guess I just need suggestions!

Thanks, anymore?
Aria's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:51 AM   #4
ZoeyZoo
Registered Users

I get this too when I use a bottle... she she use both hands or just one? Mine uses just one to hit the bottle so I hold her hand. I feel it gives a little more connection and it keeps her from hitting the bottle.
ZoeyZoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:38 PM   #5
steely_cass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, I've been bottle feeding DD from the beginning, and she does that bottle hitting thing as well. Normally I just try to distract her in another way, but if it gets really bad, I let her play for a bit and than try to get back down to business. She also sometimes tries to look all around so I'm "chasing" her mouth with the bottle. I figure she couldn't BF like that so I sit her down to play then as well.
and Wilder (July '14)
steely_cass is online now   Reply With Quote