Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-31-2008, 06:19 AM   #1
momto2and2
Registered
sitesupporter
seller

I need your help sorting through this one - PLEASE

I have a 6.5 month old (actually, I guess she will be 7 months next week- wow) Anyway, she was EBF until about 3 months old - she was gradually switched to formula (Enfamil Gentlease) and has done fine. She has always been very regular - she would go (bm) once a day. About a month or less ago she stated only going about every 3 days and would definitely strain to go. When she went she would have a formed amount stuck to her bottom and then sometimes later she would go again and it would be softer and some liquid. (sorry) As she got closer to the 3rd day she would not sleep good and she would drink less and less. I have not started her on solids yet. She only drinks about 26 -28 oz. a day and if I give her more (more than 4 oz. at one sitting) she will spit it up. For about the past week and a half she has been waking at night to eat - she hasn't done that since the end of March. Sometimes she will take all 4 oz and sometimes just a couple. I'm not sure if she is ready for solids - needs more than she is getting (if that is why she is waking to eat when before she didn't). I was hesitant to start solids only because she doesn't drink a lot as is and I am assuming her formula intake might drop. I also didn't know if we needed to get the bm problem corrected before starting solids - didn't know if the solids would just make it worse.

Help me please - I need to get her back to her happy little self.

Advertisement

Last edited by momto2and2; 07-31-2008 at 12:17 PM.
momto2and2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:29 AM   #2
Deanner03
"Life's tough. Get a helmet."
seller

My Mood:
Re: I need your help sorting throught this one - PLEASE

My first step would likely be to try adding a bit of water to her "diet" Let her try a sippy cup. The increased fluid might help.
Is she on solids?? That can contribute to the problem, as certain things are known to "bind" you up. You can add more applesauce/pears/high fiber fruits to her diet (prunes-I think they're but my dd LOVED them).

ETA: I didn't read the part where you said she wasn't on solids Maybe it's time to try some homemade applesauce/pear sauce or prunes.

Call your ped. if you're worried, though. It never hurts!
Old 07-31-2008, 06:42 AM   #3
momto2and2
Registered
sitesupporter
seller

Re: I need your help sorting through this one - PLEASE

"Call your ped. if you're worried, though. It never hurts!"

I did call earlier this week. They suggested the dark syrup in a bottle once a day. I would rather try to figure it out with something I want to keep in her diet - kind of get the stomach going in the right direction rather than load her up on a bunch of sugar. The dr. said that is why they recommend it - it is loaded with so much sugar and the sugar makes them have a bm.

I thought about adding solids - like peaches, pears and others that are recommended for constipation and hope it regulates everything - just didn't know if I would be making it worse.

Thanks for your help - please keep the ideas coming!

Last edited by momto2and2; 07-31-2008 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:18 PM   #4
momto2and2
Registered
sitesupporter
seller

Anyone else?
Old 07-31-2008, 06:32 PM   #5
the8dunlaps
Registered Users
seller
seller

Our son has had constipation issues too (hard round tiny poop) and he stops eating/sleeping as much at the 3rd day too.
We've found increasing the water ratio in the formula just a touch helps, as well as prune juice diluted with water.
I was using karo syrup (corn syrup) and hated it.. started reading about it and it's crap. Then realized his formula was 57% corn syrup as the first ingredient. So we are now doing the homemade formula. Constipation is still an issue but with 1-2 ounces of prune juice (I get organic) mixed with the same amount of filtered water and he goes that day usually.
Much healthier than the "dark syrup".
HTH.

http://https://www.facebook.com/TheHappyHippos
Cloth diapers, accessories, baby gowns, nursing cover ups, towels, blankets, capes and more!!!
the8dunlaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:40 PM   #6
mom2piddle
Registered Users
seller

I second the more water. If you use powdered formula you could use 1/2 scoop for every 2 oz of water rather then 1 scoop....I did that with DD3. You could try change formula if you think that may be the cause.It may be easier then starting solids...or you sit her in a warm bath a little higher then mid stomach around the time that she seems to be not feeling well...
Old 07-31-2008, 06:50 PM   #7
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Give 1oz juice + 1oz water, warmed, once a day as needed for the constipation. That's what I recommend to my patients. The fruit sugars plus the water help soften the stool. It's definitely safer than Karo, which can contain botulism spores.
SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:53 PM   #8
the8dunlaps
Registered Users
seller
seller

Jaime, yikes, botulism spores.. and ds was taking it 2 times a day, 1 tsp. each time.
What about molassas... can that cause botulism at all? I do 1tsp per day in his homemade formula along with 2 tbsp. lactose powder (vs. the 4 tbsp. lactose recommended in the recipe).
Thanks!!

http://https://www.facebook.com/TheHappyHippos
Cloth diapers, accessories, baby gowns, nursing cover ups, towels, blankets, capes and more!!!
the8dunlaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:26 AM   #9
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have never seen anything about molasses and botulism. It might, though, like honey. Many older peds still recommend karo for constipation, but my practice stopped when we learned more. My job is to keep those babies safe, not recommend something that might be harmful
SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:58 AM   #10
momto2and2
Registered
sitesupporter
seller

Juice is our next step.

Do you do it on a daily basis or just as needed? I wasn't sure if doing it on a daily basis would keep things regular. Like 1 oz juice with 1 oz water. A small amount, but enough.

THANKS