Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-20-2008, 02:59 PM   #1
VioletsMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ways to supplement income while on maternity leave?

Lucky me, I am a per diem employee. I work about 30 hours a week, but because I am per diem I'm not benefitted (my husband's benefits are great, so we're not without benefits).

Because of this, I am only taking a 6 week maternity leave as I have no sick/vacation time and no short term disability. I did sign up for short term disability after I started my new job in April, but it won't be effective for this pregnancy.

I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for supplementing our income those 6 weeks while I'm on maternity. I have sold Avon in the past and HATED the company by the time I quit, so that is not an option. I thought about Tupperware but you still have to pay a minimum of $80 to get a starter pack (and then hope you do well enough in sales to earn money). I do some online surveys and whatnot from time to time for extra cash, but it doesn't add up to much, just fun money.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Advertisement

VioletsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 03:43 PM   #2
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ways to supplement income while on maternity leave?

Check out ChaCha. http://info.chacha.com/Careers/Becom...4/Default.aspx

I started as a guide a few weeks ago and it's pretty cool. As a single mom with a full time "day job", I needed something that was flexible enough that I could do it when the boys were sleeping or whenever I had a spare minute. With ChaCha, you just log on whenever you can and answer questions. Sometimes I get on and just answer 1 or 2, sometimes I'll stay on for a few hours. I usually only have an hour a day or so to do it (while I'm sitting in the boys' room waiting for them to fall asleep) so my goal is $50/week just for running money. If you could spend a few hours a day doing it, you could easily make a few hundred dollars a week. It just depends on how much time you can devote.

If you do decicde to sign up, if you don't mind, could you enter my e-mail btbarbara at gmail dot com as the person who referred you? Thanks and good luck!
Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 04:18 PM   #3
VioletsMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am off to sign up and I will definitely use your info as my referral. Thanks!
Old 07-21-2008, 10:11 PM   #4
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Cool! It's a little bit of a headache going through the tests and all but once you get approved, it's smooth sailing. The company is growing really fast right now so there have been some technical issues but that's getting worked out and I think it's pretty fun. Then again I'm a trivia buff so I actually enjoy searching out the answers to the really wacko questions. Good luck!
Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:07 AM   #5
gil
Registered Users

Why can I never find anything like this in Canada?
gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:43 AM   #6
VioletsMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just got accepted as a Cha Cha guide - have to do the orientation, so probably will do that this weekend when I have a little extra time. Thanks again for the referral!
Old 08-01-2008, 08:22 AM   #7
Baby_Vol
Registered Users
seller

I'm a cha-cha guide-in-training right now. It looks like it will be great! I can't wait to get the full on trainer ...I should do that tonight ...I just have to pass the simulator test.
Baby_Vol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 06:37 PM   #8
frogandtoad
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There is also mystery shopping -- if you live in a larger area it could be more lucrative. I've shopped in my area and it's nice. You do have to plan time for shopping though. Never pay a fee to sign up for mystery shopping. I'll see if I can dig up the links (I'm on the laptop and bookmarks are on the desktop) and post.
There are only two lasting bequests we hope to give our children; one is roots, the other wings.
frogandtoad is offline   Reply With Quote